Pure Trimac?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
There's a few kicking about in Brisbane in a few retail stores, but few n far between.
I actually picked up another 4 from a different bloodline, i'll probably post pictures soon but they are in with a bunch of Spotted Syns so its hard to get photo's or even video's sometimes.
I guess if you are happy with them that’s al that really matters anyway, I still can’t see why anyone would produce hybrids in australia as there’s so much demand for pure trimacs and I dont see it being any easier to mate a trimac with a flowerhorn compared with 2 real trimacs.

tiny 4cm ones are going for $160 each down here so if you can successfully breed some you will be able to cash in nicely.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I guess if you are happy with them that’s al that really matters anyway, I still can’t see why anyone would produce hybrids in australia as there’s so much demand for pure trimacs and I dont see it being any easier to mate a trimac with a flowerhorn compared with 2 real trimacs.

tiny 4cm ones are going for $160 each down here so if you can successfully breed some you will be able to cash in nicely.
I am located in Sydney and have produced and raised thousands of fry ( my pair above )

Anyone spending $160ea@ 4cm is majorly overpaying

Reactions: Deadeye

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I am located in Sydney and have produced and raised thousands of fry ( my pair above )

Anyone spending $160ea@ 4cm is majorly overpaying
Thats interesting as you very rarely see them here but a few have been around lately, same with cubans too.
At least I know who to contact if I ever get a tank big enough to hold some, might save myself a bit of cash, yours look great too,

Reactions: Deadeye

Cammo X

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Australia
www.facebook.com
Also here is a fish from another bloodline, in a community holding tank at the moment and it's shy so photos are a bit dodgy.

The caudal peduncle on these other fish seem to be shorter, has been since I got them, a different body shape, like they have grown up in cold water in a crowded tank.
Screenshot_20210928-083442_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210928-083537_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210928-083501_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Reactions: Deadeye and RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

You answered your own question - people do it in AU for the same reason as elsewhere the $$$$$$.

Considering the difficulty in importing wild fish into AU, hybrid cichlids have become rather common over the past 25 years. Numerous crosses can & have been found in AU LFS, many marketed as something they are not. Sometimes there are nice stories attached, but when you dig deeper there is never any actual provenance to back up the stories.

Even here in NA, where trimac with real provenance back to the wild can be acquired relatively easily for those that are willing to source them, a boat load of hybrid flowerhorn crosses can be found being sold as either trimacs, or a flowerhorn of quality, to unsuspecting buyers. Flowerhorns that most serious FH keepers would flush, sold for $10, often far more, to folks new to the hobby. With hundreds of fry produced on a regular basis, even at $10 a pop the money adds up fast. Those looking for cheap trimacs, typically don't know the difference either, and genetics being what they are, sans some kind of provenance from a reliable breeder or importer, no telling what one is buying at your LFS, or backyard breeder. Hybrid trimacs were and still are a real problem in cichlid circles.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store