pvc versus abs for plumbing a tank ?

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Im very very close to having my custom build being finished and i want to do a good job at plumbing the sump. Pvc or abs ? What are the differences besides the price ?

Ps i amm so excited . Like a kid at christmas !

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I doubt there is any difference. Only thing that will matter is the path the water takes and the diameter. I personally buy 1.5" inside diameter tubing, looks like a big hose as there is some threading to reinforce around it. Reason being it's quick, easy, you can work around it easy, and easily altered. Not sure how much more expensive it was, feel like I paid 150 for 75 feet?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
ABS is said to be more chemically inert than PVC, but it doesn't really matter in the real world

If I had a nickel for every schedule 40 fitting i sprayed with krylon fusion matte black, I'd probably have enough money to buy a bunch of PVC fittings lol.

Black abs fittings are cool if you can fins them. I wouldn't go out of my way to round em up though..

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I used Sch 40 everywhere on my sump, used black sch 40 inside the tank for the returns where it's visisble. I would suggest using the same pipe and fittings everywhere so you know you have the right kind of PVC glue. And when it comes to fittings, schedule 40 fittings are the easiest to find. I ordered all my fittings online, but still ended up at the local big box store when I was plumbing mine. I was very glad I used schedule 40. Be careful not to mix in DWV pipe/fittings by accident, because if you use the wrong glue, it might not seal quite right.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I did and would go with PVC. Given my research a while back I know there's a lot of debate on using ABS vs. PVC for use with water and drains. I went with PVC because I think it looked better than ABS that was available at my local big box stores. Also, I used gate valve, ball valve, etc., and it primary comes in white (but they are available in other others, but may be schedule 80) so I thought it matched better with the white PVC.

I did use an ABS "Threaded T connector" for my inlet/suction that is inside my tank (for closed loop circulation). I chose that over white PVC and didn't feel like to trying to "paint it". Whatever you decide, make sure you use the right cement for PVC vs. ABS. Also, if you go with pipe dope (instead of Teflon tape) make sure it's for the right material...I learned the hard way...but that's for another thread...

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've transitioned from pvc to abs with just regular oatey pvc glue (not transition cement) I couldn't get the stuff apart if I tried. I've had no issues. I did some reading on the subject and there isnt a huge difference in chemical composition between the two glues. Bit I'm just playing with 1" and 3/4" bulkheads.

I think the importance of glue is overplayed for the average home aquarium. Stuff doesn't have to be up to residential or industrial building code. Unless you're running a crazy external high pressure pump, your lucky to get a couple psi with a simple danner magdrive or jabao pump. I feel comfortable with regular pvc glue as long as I get a good secure dry fit. And I prefer teflon thread tape as opposed to pipe dopes.

People make such a huge deal over pvc, but nobody bats an eye at a commercially available canister filter with simple slip fittings with no clamps or solvents.

It's always good to air on the side of caution Though.

Just my $0.02

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Thanks everyone for your input . so you would recommend both a gate and a ball valve ?

Sent from my Z933 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store