Question about Dwarf Pike?

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
There a a lot of species that max out around 8-10 inches in the saxatillis group. I wouldn't call them "dwarf" though. Very rewarding group of pikes to keep, and many breed in captivity.

Reactions: Arkangel77

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
Can get 12-14 inches.
I was at a aquarium a little while ago, and if their zebrina was less than 20" i would be surprised. My best guess was around 22". This tank did however have some other fish in it that were the biggest of their variety I have ever seen as well. There was a Heros rotkeil in the tank(generally the smallest of all the heros) that was bigger than any adult heros I have ever seen. It looked ancient.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I was at a aquarium a little while ago, and if their zebrina was less than 20" i would be surprised. My best guess was around 22". This tank did however have some other fish in it that were the biggest of their variety I have ever seen as well. There was a Heros rotkeil in the tank(generally the smallest of all the heros) that was bigger than any adult heros I have ever seen. It looked ancient.
Biggest I’ve seen in most home aquariums is 16in. I’m sure they got some misters out there. For us hobbyists I think 12-14 inches is achievable. I’m big and some years it’ll get bigger.

kingbirdman64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2017
This week-end I visit a couple of local pet chain stores in my neighborhood, I found a pike in two of them. and yes of course I purchased them. Can't tell you what type there are, because the salespeople don't know either. they had them listed as 4" pike. in both stores. yet neither one of them measures 4" . the first one I got from a friend about two weeks ago. is a bright yellow. I was told in a pet shop that it was a golden pike. yet looking it up online, is considered an unknown pike, in several websites. and looking further, I now have a crenicichla vittata, and a belly crawler. I found this out online. between the two, they ate 12 minals in just two days, the bright yellow eats two cubes of frozen worms a day and some dry food as well, I`m giving it a new product of fish food that is made with fly`s and insects. it love`s it, I feed it till the belly gets nice and round. I`m hoping it grows fast so that it can catch up with the new one`s I just got. this little guy look`s and swims with the minals, but knows to stay far away from the other pikes. seem`s really smart. I`m searching for pictures or videos, to get an Idea on how they like their environment. I like to give my fish what they like. and I want them to feel at home.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I was at a local shop and i impulse bought three 4" Strigata pike. I have them in my son's tank right now growing, no idea what we gona do in the future. But they cool =). I did purchase a zebra from wet spot. It's in quaranteen right.now and it's doing great so far =). Very cool fish, I like pike!

kingbirdman64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2017
This little guy was the one to get me into pike cichlids, this one was given to me, and I went buying more. Now I have these three.

kingbirdman64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2017
OH ! Man, I thought I downloaded pictures. I guess that link doesn't work. but anyways, I have three beautiful pikes. and man, are they eating machines. I counted the feeder fish today, and there's twelve out of seventy five since saturday. the reason I keep feeders in the tank, is so they won't try to eat my young cichlids. I have blue jack dempseys, electric blue jack dempseys, green terrors, texas/convict hybrids, in there with them. all but the cats are less than one inch. yes I know I`m taking a chance, I just might throw them in with the big fish.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
These are the guys 8 got.

Screenshot_20171111-211317.png

Screenshot_20171111-211244.png

Reactions: kingbirdman64

kingbirdman64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2017
I think I got this now, if it works, you will get to see my pikes. my smallest one looks a lot like your pike but with more yellow on it. as soon as I get a good shot at it, I will post it. he is just too fast for me. every time I walk over to the tank, it go`s to hide.

IMG_20171030_213846[1].jpg

IMG_20171101_075154[1].jpg

IMG_20171030_213839[1].jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store