Questionable Piranha Tank-mates

Zaminpirlo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2008
Guelph, Ontario
People tell you, you cant stick a fish with another but you can. Its luck really. Ive seen fish that are not supposed to be aggresive take out fish that are. Its luck

demetri1k

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
monroe
idk but i have a leo with my 5 rbp my brother didnt want him so i threw him in because it was realy aggresive and its been 5 months

djefferson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2011
joliet
i have pacu and piranha both red bellies and just added a snowflak eel think all will be well?????he had a small piece of tail snipped off but seems to be fine any suggestions?

Fishbert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2011
New York
what about a breeding pair of convicts? like if you set up the cons and once they were established add similar sized piranhas?

rizzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
philadelphia pa
I have a 150g tank consist of 5 oscars, 5 crayfish, also 4 rbp's, 3 red ear sliders. largest fish being 4 inchs, smallest 3 inchs.
Yesterday 3 rbp's died. After being in tank for 3 months.
filtration 1 fluval fx5, 1 aquatop cf500uv, undergravel filter .
my rbp's was fine all that time then out the blue there gone, but they did good with the tank mates no nipped fins or missing fish so im lost , all water tests was good.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Here's a little diff idea...

I do not keep p's, but I have a fish that seems to be an option that has worked for over 2 years in my predator tank with zero issues.

I have a really aggressive 18" Mono P. Bass, 2ft Silver Aro, two 12" Tiger Oscars, a really super pissed of RB Pacu, a 12" Spotted Shovelnose and a Large Red Tail Cat. Obviously all fish that love to eat other fish. In fact my Redtail cat, when he was only 11", ate my 10" Senegal Bichir.

The thing I'm getting at is, I have a 24" Gymnothorax Tile. He has always been smaller than his more aggressive tankmates, but has never been nipped, bit, or eaten. I think I have figured out why.

Fish don't eat him or look at him as a food source, because they have toxic mucous and slime coat. It's more poisonous than venomous, I guess.

Give them a try, just slowly acclimate your p's to about 1.008SG, and add him/her at night.

Truly awesome fish in their own right.

Check mine out on YouTube. "smnkm4ehfer"

Tropicalfish34

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2011
Fernanadina Beach, Florida
Hi guys.I'm from South Africa and keeping Piranha here is illegal without a license but I wanted to try and get some-speeding is illegal too and I do it all the time.My question: Can I keep piranha with Zambezi Sharks?
If you mean zambezi sharks as in bull sharks then no they would probably eat the pirahna.

nick@nite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
USA
I've found a lot of good advice on this thread, doing some research on keeping RBP's with Oscar fish, I've dealt a lot with oscar fish but no experience with RBP.

Predator Fish UK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2011
England
can i introduce a 9"rhom into a monster tank containing:-
2x 14" giant snakeheads
1x 20"giant snakehead
1x 13"black wolf fish
3x 13/14" mono p.bass

Do you think this combo could work?
All the other fish get on fine
cant really dedicate one tank for one fish, but on the other hand dont want to loose any fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store