Questionable Piranha Tank-mates

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Update I had to get rid of my oscars and turtles. the pirahna was taking chunks out my turtles and they were big and my oscars were big and were trying to kill my last pirahna. now I have my pirahna and convicts in another tank its been fine for 3months no casulties. I seen 2 hollandi pirahna for sale at lfs wanted to know if there compatible with rbp's anybody know? the hollandi's are same size as my rbp bout 3-4"

No I don't see this working out! They are not pygos! Maybe trade them in for the others?

Can't believe your turtles made it, rbp are vicious especially when hungry or territorial!

*Go S. Vettel #1 rb8--3 MORE RACES LEFT! LET'S MAKE IT 5 BACK TO BACK WINS & 3 WDC!* :beer:

rizzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
philadelphia pa
No I don't see this working out! They are not pygos! Maybe trade them in for the others?

Can't believe your turtles made it, rbp are vicious especially when hungry or territorial!

*Go S. Vettel #1 rb8--3 MORE RACES LEFT! LET'S MAKE IT 5 BACK TO BACK WINS & 3 WDC!* :beer:
It worked for 4yrs check my vids on YouTube search 1ozzir
Now my turtles have a 2500g pond I nevrr see them hardly they love it. Still got my rbp's never bought the hollandi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
It worked for 4yrs check my vids on YouTube search 1ozzir
Now my turtles have a 2500g pond I nevrr see them hardly they love it. Still got my rbp's never bought the hollandi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I was talking about the pygos and holls, the turtles are lucky, glad their in a pond now! Cool stuff

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
I have used convicts as a feeder fish treat for some time now and normally are devoured on site.
There is one that has been in my tank for about 5 months now that is too fast for my piranha to catch.
It darts at high speeds and hides in the driftwood before the p can catch it.
Now, I am assuming that one day that little convict will slip up and dart the wrong way and become a meal. But so far, she has stayed alive.

edog

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2012
NY
I am looking for the same answers as to what can go with red bellies. I currently have 5 red bellies (4"-5" each) in a 110 gallon tank. I also have a 7" common pleco and a 4" 3 line catfish in there. I am not really looking to add anything into that tank except I have an 8" common wolf fish in my 450 gallon tank that does not move at all except at night when no one is around he picks off / picks on African cichlids and other tank mates. So I am wondering if i should consider putting the wolf fish in with the red bellies. I am thinking not because the history of these red bellies is such, I bought a dozen 1" in dec 2010 and 3 survived in that tank, then in dec 2011 I got a dozen more 1" and put them in a separate 75 gallon tank. 2 of them lasted and in dec of 2012 I put the 2 newer one's in with the 3 original one's, oddly enough they are all about the same size even though 2 are a year younger than the original 3. They have done fine and i really don't want to lose any. Any Thoughts?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I am looking for the same answers as to what can go with red bellies. I currently have 5 red bellies (4"-5" each) in a 110 gallon tank. I also have a 7" common pleco and a 4" 3 line catfish in there. I am not really looking to add anything into that tank except I have an 8" common wolf fish in my 450 gallon tank that does not move at all except at night when no one is around he picks off / picks on African cichlids and other tank mates. So I am wondering if i should consider putting the wolf fish in with the red bellies. I am thinking not because the history of these red bellies is such, I bought a dozen 1" in dec 2010 and 3 survived in that tank, then in dec 2011 I got a dozen more 1" and put them in a separate 75 gallon tank. 2 of them lasted and in dec of 2012 I put the 2 newer one's in with the 3 original one's, oddly enough they are all about the same size even though 2 are a year younger than the original 3. They have done fine and i really don't want to lose any. Any Thoughts?
I would say no, especially with 5 teen red bellies a big pleco and catfish in a 110gal assuming it's a 4'x18".

Even if you had space a wolf fish plus piranha is not a good idea

Go S.Vettel #1 RB8 3X WDC!!!!!!!!!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

D Realist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Weehawken, NJ
I kind of stumbled into my experiment. I added a 10" RB with my shoal of six 5-6" RB and the shoal of smaller ones saw the larger one as a threat and were surrounding him and nipping him. I thought there was a chance that that was going to occur, so I bought some neon and cardinal tetras to distract them, it didn't work they were still focused on the larger. I had picked up an Oscar for free that was listed on craigslist maybe about a week before and added him to one of my other tanks that has Oscars, ID sharks, a Bichir, a Jade Goby, and Lima Catfish. The other Oscars didn't take to him very well and were beating him until he basically lived in a small space between decorations. I was going to give him away, but with the piranha situation going on I decided to add him to their tank and help relive some of the attention off of the big p. They take shots at him occasionally, but he turns at them and they scatter. The larger P and the Oscar have become pretty good friends for the moment and he tries to school with the Oscar more than he does with the shoal. I think they are too hyper for his taste, I think the slow movement of the Oscar is more of his style. So now I have a tank with 6 5-6" RBP, 1 10 or 11" RBP, and 1 7 or 8" Oscar and a few ghost shrimp and trumpet snails. They are all on dysfunctional family, for now.

Reactions: Brazzen1

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I kind of stumbled into my experiment. I added a 10" RB with my shoal of six 5-6" RB and the shoal of smaller ones saw the larger one as a threat and were surrounding him and nipping him. I thought there was a chance that that was going to occur, so I bought some neon and cardinal tetras to distract them, it didn't work they were still focused on the larger. I had picked up an Oscar for free that was listed on craigslist maybe about a week before and added him to one of my other tanks that has Oscars, ID sharks, a Bichir, a Jade Goby, and Lima Catfish. The other Oscars didn't take to him very well and were beating him until he basically lived in a small space between decorations. I was going to give him away, but with the piranha situation going on I decided to add him to their tank and help relive some of the attention off of the big p. They take shots at him occasionally, but he turns at them and they scatter. The larger P and the Oscar have become pretty good friends for the moment and he tries to school with the Oscar more than he does with the shoal. I think they are too hyper for his taste, I think the slow movement of the Oscar is more of his style. So now I have a tank with 6 5-6" RBP, 1 10 or 11" RBP, and 1 7 or 8" Oscar and a few ghost shrimp and trumpet snails. They are all on dysfunctional family, for now.
Wow that's crazy, lower temps (74ish) can also tame aggression, what size tank are they in.? And pics plz!

Well, I just learned something useful on this site...there's a first! KAKAAAAW! ON IT.
>http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

D Realist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Weehawken, NJ
Wow that's crazy, lower temps (74ish) can also tame aggression, what size tank are they in.? And pics plz!

>http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

My temp is at 76 right now. The tank is a 110g, but I plan on moving them to a 125 soon since the 110 is a 110 high. I can't find my camera to take a pic, but I am going to try to use my webcam on my laptop later. I don't know if my original RBs are unusual, but no matter what the temperature they tend to be very hyper. Even with the lower temperature they are all over the place. I have never personally owned Caribe, but to me they act more like what I have seen from them than other reds. I just moved them to the 110g about a month and a half ago, but I wasn't planing to add any other fish for awhile at that time. I thought I could get a few months out of it. Now that I added the bigger P and the Oscar I am wondering if they have enough space. It appears that they do, but I am still learning since this is the first batch of Ps I ever owned so I could be wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store