Questions about evaporation?

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
When the tank water goes down, but the water stays, the salinity increases. I read that the way to counteract that is to add dechlorinated fresh water, and I was wondering how you do that. Do you just fill the tank back to it’s original level? Also, would adding freshwater have any negative effects for fish/coral when it’s first put in and hasn’t mixed yet?

Reactions: tlindsey

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
I have my tank set up with an auto top off system. I have my sump and a separate 20g tall tank filled with RODI inside the stand. One of the sensors is in my pump return chamber of my sump and as the sensor detects water loss (from evaporation) the pump in the 20g tank kicks on and pumps more RODI water back into the sump. Prevents drastic salinity changes and mixes easily though the return chamber.

Screenshot_20200105-064628_Chrome.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you don’t have an auto top off you can add the water to the tank.
You want to add it in an area of flow where it will mix in quickly and not near any animal and you will be okay.
You should also try to temp match it to the aquarium.
You can also add smaller amounts more often, if you are concerned about it.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Just add it to the tank. Atos are great very valuable tool especially with certian finicky corals that simply wont tolerate sg fluctuation. Test your water with a refractometer and make sure to have a specific sg goal.

Reactions: tlindsey

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I have my tank set up with an auto top off system. I have my sump and a separate 20g tall tank filled with RODI inside the stand. One of the sensors is in my pump return chamber of my sump and as the sensor detects water loss (from evaporation) the pump in the 20g tank kicks on and pumps more RODI water back into the sump. Prevents drastic salinity changes and mixes easily though the return chamber.

View attachment 1400360
I think I already know the answer to this but would something like this work? The water gets held by the tension until the water level lowers under the straw. Then again too much water might mix all at once

7998592C-61D2-4BD1-895A-10CD7A46DA03.png

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I wouldn't risk it. Nothing about reef keeping is cheap. If its cheap it's has flaws and flaws in reefs cost you.
A lot of the reviews are from nano reefs, but yeah, in the long run it could be a lot more expensive to fix than one of the nicer ones

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
A lot of the reviews are from nano reefs, but yeah, in the long run it could be a lot more expensive to fix than one of the nicer ones
I used a tunze. About $200 but was worth it. When I just had a 75g reef I used an osmolator in line with the ato which dispensed kalkwasser into the water keeping calcium and alkalinity up. Later on when I had a much larger system I had a calcium reactor. Any way a good ato and a good skimmer are both pretty important items in reef keeping.

Reactions: tlindsey and PGJE

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
I think I already know the answer to this but would something like this work? The water gets held by the tension until the water level lowers under the straw. Then again too much water might mix all at once

View attachment 1400467
If you have a sump, I would go with a top off set up. More reliable. You can sometimes find this one for about $50 online with discounts, but I found the Marine Depot one to be better than this one. It's an investment you will have to weigh.

Screenshot_20200105-175824_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: PGJE

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
If you have a sump, I would go with a top off set up. More reliable. You can sometimes find this one for about $50 online with discounts, but I found the Marine Depot one to be better than this one. It's an investment you will have to weigh.

View attachment 1400524
No sump, it’s a 10 gallon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store