Questions about the BD ray...

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I understood the question and I answered it.

Read the answer again Slowly. A BD is a leopoldi ray that is collected in the sao felix

These rays usually have belly spotting and clusters of small spots around the eyes I think they also have a certain number of rows of spots but I could be mistaken.

But for a ray to be a "blackdiamond" it has to be collected from the sao felix or be the f1 offspring of 2 rays collected there. Or at least that is my understanding

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
Ic, I didn't mean to shoot at u ealier, it just annoying to see people telling u what to do. I've looked through similar thread discussions, and it seems that there is no absolute answer till now. It seems that only a high quality BD is recognized as a pure BD.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
It seems with even the nice looking ray there will be at least one person who will say it is just a "nice leo" or "high end leo". The line is very blurred between low end BD and high end Leo so without a person you trust collecting them from their point of origin you are better off just judging the ray by how it suits your personal taste IMO. I have seen some VERY nice thousand island leos and some BDs that didn't really thrill me. To me a nice ray is a nice ray

Sorry to be short but the whole leo or BD thing can get under my skin some times lol. I wish the fishermen or exporter who decided to start calling them that would of just called them nice leos :)

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
What a pair of idiots.

If i wanted to find the answer by trawling through threads for 5+ years ago then i would have done that, if it is easier for me to just ask a quick question for it to be answered then i will just go ahead and do that.

If you don't like my approach don't reply to me in which case i'll have to trawl through won't i?

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
Looking at a fish´s discspotting is the easiest way of telling what you are dealing with.

Normal leo = no disc spotting.

BD x leo. Some disc spotting. May lose some/all as they grow.

Pure BD. The pic says it all.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
Looking at a fish´s discspotting is the easiest way of telling what you are dealing with.

Normal leo = no disc spotting.

BD x leo. Some disc spotting. May lose some/all as they grow.

Pure BD. The pic says it all.

thanks, that helps alot.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
things have changed a lot in the last few years

people dont buy a ray on name alone now the price is set on what the ray looks like

bd is just a term used for the highest grade leo nothing more so they are all leo not pure bd

if its the higher grade leo you want ie bd just look for nice top spotting belly spotting and light colur eyes

some leo/bd which is a medium grade leo are nicer than a bd with top spotting but because they dont have belly spotting or light colour eyes which people want when buying a top price for bd the seller has no choice but to down grade it to leo/bd

normal leo ie the lowest grade has less spots and normally never any spots around the disk edge

in other words dont go on the name buy what you like within your budget

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store