Questions about the BD ray...

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
things have changed a lot in the last few years

people dont buy a ray on name alone now the price is set on what the ray looks like

bd is just a term used for the highest grade leo nothing more so they are all leo not pure bd

if its the higher grade leo you want ie bd just look for nice top spotting belly spotting and light colur eyes

some leo/bd which is a medium grade leo are nicer than a bd with top spotting but because they dont have belly spotting or light colour eyes which people want when buying a top price for bd the seller has no choice but to down grade it to leo/bd

normal leo ie the lowest grade has less spots and normally never any spots around the disk edge

in other words dont go on the name buy what you like within your budget
If I had a choice between , a bdxleo with belly spotting and light colour eyes vs a bd with brilliant top spotting, no belly spotting and no light colour eyes,
I'd take the bd hands down. After all disc spots is what you see most ( or more so than the belly )

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Very true it's the look of the disk top that counts most

It's just if I was paying bd money $1500+ in the US I would want it to have ALL the BD traits

The grade of some bd/Leo now is so good the only thing that sets a bd above a bd/Leo now is the belly spotting and light eyes

The reason so many bd/Leo are such high grade now is because no one is willing to pay top $$$ for a bd unless it has it all

I know of breeders in Europe that have had to sell pups from high end bd male and female cheap as bd/Leo just because they didn't have all the bd traits but other pups in the litter had everything and sold for top $$$

So many people are breeding now people can pick and chose what they want

Most people won't be happy if they pay $1500 for a ray without belly spotting and light eyes then people post pics of them on the net and everyone says nice bd/Leo

This is just my opinion and is the ray looks good and the price is right buy it as you will need to be the person who's happy no one else

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
$1500 usually doesn't touch a nice BD over here. It would be pretty safe to say if you pay less then like $2500 it's gonna be a "questionable" BD.

It's pretty tough to even find nice ones here. Nobody has any to offer unless importing from Canada or across seas.

Seems black ray and hybrid prices in Europe are like half what they are over here.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
You are 100% DB, that should change in the next few years as there have been a few slipping in + when importing from overseas there is a 2-3 ray min. order and $500 intl. shipping. then domestic shipping after that.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If I had a choice between , a bdxleo with belly spotting and light colour eyes vs a bd with brilliant top spotting, no belly spotting and no light colour eyes,
I'd take the bd hands down. After all disc spots is what you see most ( or more so than the belly )

i have a leo/bd with ok top spotting light colour eyes but no bell spotting and it was cheap because it had no belly spotting

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
First page learned nothing at all. Finally with some great help and pics I learned allot. Thanks much helpful people

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
So what would make this a BD/Leo instead of just a BD then Richard?
Doesn't have belly spots or light eyes.
Also, the very outer chain /perimeter spotting is not continuous and is broken up..

But, I would be chuffed if I had that Leo male. It is a stunning ray....Even now after its grown and the disc and patterns have stretched a bit...

dookie

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hong Kong
I think the main thing that people forget to mention is that a real BD gets Better with age and a regular leo gets worse with age in regards to their pattern.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store