Questions for you poly guys

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
So if I can get some of my fish sold off I’d like to try a poly again(I’ve tried 3 Dels but didn’t know about the pleco thing. They all did fine in QT but died shortly after in the tank), I have some things let me know if accurate.

Tank is my 180, will have a Polleni pair and either a Del or an Ornate.

I struggle to keep this tank under 80, most of the summer it’s 80-82 cool months 78-80 is this ok?

No plecos correct? Would a Flagtail though not continent correct be ok?

Any scavenger type fish ok with polys? I was hoping a nice big syno would work. Probably not multis but would an Angelicus or Euruptus work out? I’d keep some loaches but expensive feeders for a poly I don’t want. Any other scavenger you all recommend? Prefer to keep it African but not 100% firm on that.

I’ve read that polys need air space at the top of the tank. It’s a factory Marineland drilled tank so dropping the water level wouldn’t be easy. There’s about an inch at the top between water and lids. Is that enough? If not I could get the matching canopy and put a back plate on and just remove the lids altogether.

Thanks for the replies and before jaws says it, there will be only one. Multiple tanks means I don’t have time for more than one big WC a week. I work in an extra one for the loaches once in a while but I can’t make it a regular thing.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So if I can get some of my fish sold off I’d like to try a poly again(I’ve tried 3 Dels but didn’t know about the pleco thing. They all did fine in QT but died shortly after in the tank), I have some things let me know if accurate.

Tank is my 180, will have a Polleni pair and either a Del or an Ornate.

I struggle to keep this tank under 80, most of the summer it’s 80-82 cool months 78-80 is this ok?

No plecos correct? Would a Flagtail though not continent correct be ok?

Any scavenger type fish ok with polys? I was hoping a nice big syno would work. Probably not multis but would an Angelicus or Euruptus work out? I’d keep some loaches but expensive feeders for a poly I don’t want. Any other scavenger you all recommend? Prefer to keep it African but not 100% firm on that.

I’ve read that polys need air space at the top of the tank. It’s a factory Marineland drilled tank so dropping the water level wouldn’t be easy. There’s about an inch at the top between water and lids. Is that enough? If not I could get the matching canopy and put a back plate on and just remove the lids altogether.

Thanks for the replies and before jaws says it, there will be only one. Multiple tanks means I don’t have time for more than one big WC a week. I work in an extra one for the loaches once in a while but I can’t make it a regular thing.

The only concern I have is if the Polleni pair became aggressive after spawning.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If it’s a cichlid pair then not sure how aggressive they’d be. Like tlindsey tlindsey mentioned.

An ornate would be better or a lower jaw due to potential cichlid tankamtes.

Large synodontis would be ok with polys.

Plecos are hit or miss. Maybe a large herbivorous pleco out there. Don’t know plecos enough. Underfed plecos start the taste on bichirs. Once it has a taste for it then it’ll have to be removed.

Flagtails can be aggressive and can feed on other fish slimecoat too. Usually not but also if underfed then this can be seen. Majority of the time it’ll be a fine addition.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
I was actually leaning a little more toward the ornate, and was going to be moving the Flagtail around three of the tanks depending on aggression levels/spawning.

So 2 polleni, an Ornate and a syno could possibly work? That makes me happy!

Any thoughts on the rest of it? Temps and air gap mainly.

Reactions: tlindsey

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Sounds like a cool tank to me. Do you already have the Polleni? It's a fish I really want to have.

Nothing really to add to he above responses...
Not yet, I’m currently doing what I can to clear out some fish. What little time off I have I’ve been working on cleaning a horrible salt creeped 210. I’ve got vacation coming around Christmas and the plan if some things fall into place is get these fish and a couple others in QT beginning of New Year.

Reactions: magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Agree with tlindsey and kno4te
I would put a pair in with polys. As tough as they are they are ni match for a determined cichlid. That tank would be fine in terms of space needed for them to gulp some air amd temps are ok too.

If water quality is a concern (always is for me too) dont go nuts with the polys and tankmates (very hard)
Ornates get as big as lower jaws which are pretty cool fish...look more prehistoric. You could go with 3 or 4 plus a cichlid and should be fine with keeping your water changes to once a week.

Look at congicus, endlicheri, and lapradei some very cool regional variants. If your not apposed to shipping wetspot has some decent polys. Toyin at www.rehobothaquatics.com is the premier wild caught poly distributor

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
One thing i forgot to mention and maybe already be doing. Add a pump or powerhead to increase churning/turnover of the water to promote oxygen saturation. The to gasping for air and possible jumping fish.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store