Quick Nitrite Fix?

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
I'm going through an off nitrite spike at the moment, it's been a constant 2ppm the past 3 days. I added some Stress Zyme (biological filtration booster) a couple days ago. All of my other chemical tests are on the money. I have a Fluval Fx5 with two trays of bio media, and I've had fish living in the tank for over 3 weeks now. Before that I cycled it for almost 2 weeks with bottled bacteria, to which my test levels were all where they needed to be before I added feeders to further help the cycle.

In all my years in the hobby I've never come across a problem like this, where I can't get rid of the nitrites quickly. It may also be because the biggest tank I've had up until now is a 60 gallon, the said problem tank being 200 gallons.

I know it's probably some issue with my bacteria but being as I have fish in there now, is there any quick fixes to this problem? I have an overflow on a 60 gallon filled with african cichlids, so the only thought I had was to maybe remove the sponge from that tank's filter and place it inside the FX5's canister for a day or two? I haven't done this yet though, as I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Any options? Thanks in advance for your input! ;)

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Sresszyme is only going to add to your problem. None of those products carry live nitrifying bacteria, except Bio-Spira. All you're doing is adding dead bacteria. The very best way to rid your tank of nitrite is LARGE water changes (see my sig). You need to find the source of the nitrite (2 is extremely toxic!). I had a problem like yours & after 2 weeks of daily 80% water changes (in a BW tank), I finally found a fish skeleton inside a statue that I was moving around to clean under. You need to move every piece of decor & clean under it & if it's hollow, take it completely our of the water & smell inside it.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Yes, I would definately use Prime to dechlor after your WC but you still need to find whatever is rotting in your tank.

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Aesop;1346620; said:
Just did a 33% yesterday. :nilly:
As an emergeny fix, do bigger :nilly:

A 33% change will only drop the Nitrite from 2 to around 1.4 , then next day it's back up again.

But I agree with the others, you need to find out why and fix that quick. But go and do another water change while you look under the rocks etc.

Cheers

Ian

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
How is the ammonia & nitrate? If your tank was already established, there is something in there that is causing this. What decor is in there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store