Quick Nitrite Fix?

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
Ianab;1346707; said:
As an emergeny fix, do bigger :nilly:

A 33% change will only drop the Nitrite from 2 to around 1.4 , then next day it's back up again.

But I agree with the others, you need to find out why and fix that quick. But go and do another water change while you look under the rocks etc.

Cheers

Ian
Yea I've check, as I stated, which is why I'm having an issue with the problem. If it was something dead (which i've check and it is not) then I wouldn't have had to make the post in the first place. :drool:

That aside, is there a possibilty it's coming from something else? I know nitrites can show when a biological filter isn't set up properly, is it possible something happened to my bacteria? Water temp is at about 82f also. I have newly added driftwood, it's been water treated before being put in though. But could it effect nitrites? I've never used wood before.

Can nitrites exist in tap water? I use tap water that I treat when I do a w/c.

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
Pufferpunk;1346719; said:
How is the ammonia & nitrate? If your tank was already established, there is something in there that is causing this. What decor is in there?
Amonia is 0 and Nitrates are about 10ish. Which from what I understand, anything under 30 is normal.

laura65536

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Nebraska
prime will make the nitrites less harmful to your fish while your bb catches up and can handle the load, if that is in fact the problem. Only way to see if it is in your tap water is to test your tap water....
I would suggest re-dosing for the whole tank with prime daily until that is fixed and lots of water changes...

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
You can always try adding Bio-Spira.

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Also check your test kit on some clean (bottled?) water, could it be old and giving a false reading?

Test your tap water for Nitrite as well, it shouldn't have any, but who knows.
Driftwood shouldn't affect the filter or Nitrite levels :confused:

Sometimes medications will kill of filter bacteria, but if you haven't treated the tank with anything lately thats not likely.

Otherwise, big water changes and some Prime water treament untill the filters recover?

Cheers

Ian

Pirwhana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Stillwater, MN
I think you should add a bio filter such as one with a biowheel or a sponge. Canister filters are not that good at aerating the water and bacteria like to have an aerobic oxygenated water to multiply in.

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
Pirwhana;1346828; said:
I think you should add a bio filter such as one with a biowheel or a sponge. Canister filters are not that good at aerating the water and bacteria like to have an aerobic oxygenated water to multiply in.
Would a backpack style filter with a sponge be suitable perhaps?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
imo the tank is recyling due to the heavier bio load now in it....larger tanks can take a while to fully cycle.

water changes will keep the fish healthier but delay the cycle....

best solution in my opinion is to find a fully cycled fx5 etc to borrow to clean up your tank and let it finish re cycling....

nvrmor2paradise

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Tampa, Fl. USA
www.nvrmor.com
Sure sounds like everything is going well to me. If it weren't for the fact that it's new, I would jumped right on the bandwagon with Ianab. I'm willing to bet it's your tests that are bad. Try this, take a glass 1/4 full of aquarium water and then top it off with filtered tap water. Test it. There's a good possiblity that it will have the same result as straight aquarium water. If not...

Prime. Prime is much better then most products as it makes nitrites and nitrates harmless but still makes it availible to bacteria. And please, stop doseing with the bio crap. Very little of it works and it's just as fast to drop a used sponge in the tank.

BTW, your FX5 is just fine, in fact I'm envious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store