Quick! Where to put heat pad for beardie!

flapper12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
Texas
My night-time light is red. Like it puts of a pretty good amount of red light. Is that bad or is it fine

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
They do that to get rid of excess heat while basking if I remember correctly.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Ok a heat pad is for lizards and snakes that need heat from the belly. Beardies can't really detect that heat as well so if you put the heating pad in the tank and the beardie happens to burrow underground right over it or something of the sort it can burn itself and possibly kill it. Stick with the lamp. Maybe get another fixture for your red bulb and just put it in the center to keep up the ambient temp. Its normal for them to pace like that they are nervous. I would cover three sides of the cage with black paper or something for the time being and don't handle him just quite yet. Give it about a week. Since he is so small you might want to switch over to black and white newspaper as your substrate for atleast a couple months. And one last thing sitting under the basking source with his mouth open is completely normal. That is their way of being lazy. They are too hot but don't want to move lol so they do that to give off heat. Good luck with him looks like you got yourself a nice healthy little guy.

Chad
P.S. MORE PICS!

flapper12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
Texas
Ok, thanks so much for the info guys. He's asleep in the corner right now. I snapped a pic but it isn't that great. I'll post it when it uploads.

varanio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Pam Pam Pam
DeLgAdO;1378125; said:
you could buy a heating pad from a thrift store that are used for people.

they are very safe and pretty durable.

jsut place it under the lamp so he can be heated from top and bottom

or

you could have it on the opposite side of the heatlamp, and run a timer to turn it on when the day lamp goes off.

that way he can have a warm place to sleep at night.

he might not figure it out first but patience and it will be become part of his daily habits.

I disagree this could cause the beardie to overheat, and not be able to find an escape from the heat from above and underneath. Reptiles need a place to cool off, and beardies cool off by hiding in hollow logs or digging underground. Like Chad stated if it has heat above and below and if it decides to dig it can burn its skin or overheat and die.

Kioka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Urgh... too many people focus on heatlamps and heatpads for the wrong animal.

Beardies need heatlamps.

Edit: Side-mounting is more of a technique for invertebrates and amphibians... for a different reason.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
varanio;1380855; said:
I disagree this could cause the beardie to overheat, and not be able to find an escape from the heat from above and underneath. Reptiles need a place to cool off, and beardies cool off by hiding in hollow logs or digging underground. Like Chad stated if it has heat above and below and if it decides to dig it can burn its skin or overheat and die.
i dont mean cover the whole area!:WHOA:

you know like......oh well i guess it depend on the size of the cage.

i would have the pad like in a corner under a hiding place, with a low setting . He would have the space to kool off but when the lights go off at night that can turn on and he can retreat to a nice cozy placee to sleep. you get what im saying?

when i had my iguana i had a shelf with an over head 150 watt bulb and a large heating pad (made for people) right under, i had it on a medium setting . and after his morning warm up he would decend to the lower part of the enclosure to cool off and go potty in his water tub :):nilly:

at night the lamp would go off but the pad would stay on and he would retreat back to the shelf and sleep on the pad, for 2 years he did this and never got burned. i watched him sleep sometimes, big cozy green brat!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store