Rainbow cichlids

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You guys are acting like I'm keeping fish that will get 10+ inches in a 40 .. at best they will get 4 inches.
If you ask for advice on a fish forum one would naturally expect answers.
The general opinion is you are greatly overstocked and will experience problems down the line.
The adult size of the fish is irrelevant in this case.it’s numbers and tank size that’s the issue.
So you have eggs now and a bonded pair. It’s at this point your other fish will probably get harassed to death.
Enjoy your battle arena and keep ignoring good advice.

Teejg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2023
You guys are acting like I'm keeping fish that will get 10+ inches in a 40 .. at best they will get 4 inches.
With almost all cichlids, keeping more than 1 pair in a puddle just doesn't work, no matter the species, and a 40 gal in basically a puddle, or no more than a rut in the road .
You could probably house a pair in a 40 gal with non-cichlids, that are large enough to not be swallowed.
An example
About 3 years ago, I received a dozen 2" Andinoacara coerleopunctatus, they normally mature about 4-5", and males sometimes top off at 7".
I put them in a 180 gal tank.
They did well for a little over a year.
At that point the alpha male matured, and started killing off all other males, and a few unreceptive females.
He allowed 3 females to live in that size tank with him, for the next couple years, and spawned with each one regularly.
When I received the Andinoacara, they also came with local tetras, and a local Panamanian pleco.
The alpha has always ignored all the non-cichlids, because they posed no territorial threat.
I do a lot of collecting myself here in Panama, and for every cichlid I find, it is usually surrounded by at least 10 times more tetras.
One of the most common mistakes cichlids keepers make is thinking they can keep large numbers of cichlids together in inadequate size tanks.
Yes, I get that but so
They are a relatively peaceful cichlid...which is to say that they aren't looking to pick a fight with anything that swims (as some cichids do...) but they are still cichlids and will still interact with others of their species like most other cichlids...as you are witnessing.

edited to add: ...as stated just above by fishguy1978 fishguy1978 a moment ago. Come on, guys...does everyone type faster than I do? :)
Yeah, I'd say they don't look to fight to the death. There's a pdf floating around and it won't let me post it , but it's the Behavior and Ecology of Herotilapia Multispinosa . I read a lot about them and it's where I decided I could put this many of them in one tank.

Teejg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2023
If you ask for advice on a fish forum one would naturally expect answers.
The general opinion is you are greatly overstocked and will experience problems down the line.
The adult size of the fish is irrelevant in this case.it’s numbers and tank size that’s the issue.
So you have eggs now and a bonded pair. It’s at this point your other fish will probably get harassed to death.
Enjoy your battle arena and keep ignoring good advice.
I'm getting another tank tomorrow. Thanks, I didn't mean any disrespect. I just didn't expect on another 300 dollar hit.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Teejg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2023
I'll post again when the eggs hatch. I've divided the tank and bought another. Things are a lot better since I put the 2nd female of the 3 inch in another tank, along with 2 others.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Sorry I'm late, just give them time to sort out their little pecking order and you should be fine. I'll admit a 40b isn't a lot of space but with rainbows it'll be fine. I had a friend with about 9 in a 40b, two pairs would spawn at the same time and they'd just kinda squabble with eachother. The extras would be kept at bay with little to no damage. The cramming helps with aggression in the long run with species like rainbows (what little there is) as the constant attention makes it hard to form and hold big territories.

Teejg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2023
Sorry I'm late, just give them time to sort out their little pecking order and you should be fine. I'll admit a 40b isn't a lot of space but with rainbows it'll be fine. I had a friend with about 9 in a 40b, two pairs would spawn at the same time and they'd just kinda squabble with eachother. The extras would be kept at bay with little to no damage. The cramming helps with aggression in the long run with species like rainbows (what little there is) as the constant attention makes it hard to form and hold big territories.
After I moved the third wheel it got a lot better. I stay on top of it. I moved everything but the eggs to the other side of the tank. When I ordered them it said 2 inches and when they came in they were 3.5 . They're all f1 though... What I don't get is how did they spawn in 3 days? Have you ever had a pair do that?

Reactions: fishguy1978

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
After I moved the third wheel it got a lot better. I stay on top of it. I moved everything but the eggs to the other side of the tank. When I ordered them it said 2 inches and when they came in they were 3.5 . They're all f1 though... What I don't get is how did they spawn in 3 days? Have you ever had a pair do that?
I've had convicts spawn the day of getting in a new tank. It helps if the pair formed before the move to a new tank

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I have had Convicts, Jewels, and HRPs all spawn within three days of taking them home. As mentioned above the pair was formed in the vendors tanks. You was just lucky enough both were netted up and sent tot you.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just for general reference, below are the type habits I find 4" cichlids, in Central America.
9f1621e1-d3ef-41e1-ad67-2ec36845685e.jpegRio Mamoni above, below Rio Pedro Miguel below.
IMG_0306.jpeg
PHOTO-2023-02-20-14-45-14.jpeg
Rio Carnitas above, lago Bayano below
IMG_6041.jpeg
And below a video of Jack Dempsey habitat in a Cenote in the Yucatan Mexico.
Do any of these suggest, that a 40 gal tank would be an adequate sized enclosure for such fish?

Eden2

Teejg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2023
Ee
I've had convicts spawn the day of getting in a new tank. It helps if the pair formed before the move to a new tank
That's what caused all the chaos though.. yes, I have a convict tank as well and those two have been breeding every 3 weeks since I got them.
Just for general reference, below are the type habits I find 4" cichlids, in Central America.
View attachment 1518035Rio Mamoni above, below Rio Pedro Miguel below.
View attachment 1518037
View attachment 1518038
Rio Carnitas above, lago Bayano below
View attachment 1518039
And below a video of Jack Dempsey habitat in a Cenote in the Yucatan Mexico.
Do any of these suggest, that a 40 gal tank would be an adequate sized enclosure for such fish?

Eden2
It's my understanding that they live in very shallow water and when the rains come they move to other places. Read the pdf I've mentioned above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store