Rainbow Trout Tank

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
How many adult trout of about 5 kg weight will a 1 acre pond support on a natural food clain(i.e. no feeding)?

Bassmaster360

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
How many adult trout of about 5 kg weight will a 1 acre pond support on a natural food clain(i.e. no feeding)?
~10. A 5kg trout is a LARGE freshwater trout. I say freshwater because that would be small for a steelhead.

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
This is an outstanding thread. I'd give my left foot for an FTS and video. The shades of red on rainbows are on a different level.

With this fish being kept in a 180 gallon comfortably for years it makes me consider the other possibilites in terms of keeping native predators. For years on this site we've seen people push limits & keep some of the most predominantly predatory ,open water, fast moving river fish there are (ATF/Bambusa/Armatus ect), with relative success. Seeing this post made me consider other open water predators that we have here in The States. Different species of Trout, Landlocked salmon, Muskellunge, Pike, LMB (like with Cichla, LMB from different rivers have different spangling and markings, would be interesting to see), SMB, Walleye, Burbot, Fall Fish, ect.

Barramundi are a perch type, not very intricately patterned or brightly colored in most cases, yet they're seen in tanks all over the world. Its tough to find a YouTube channel with more than 3 videos of a much more easily arranged for Smallmouth Bass, why is that? Are they not both very similar in terms of coloration, nutritional needs, and feeding behavior?

Would be great to see more time put into species profiles and analysis of these fish. Thank you for this contribution @OP

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Ed123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2016
Trabuco canyon
I’m kinda the same way. Cold tolerant temperates are my thing and as anyone who knows me sturgeon specifically. The issue within the US is that a lot of states prohibit keeping native fish or transporting live native fish. This ruins the market for people trying to sell them since A.) the permitting can be expensive and B.) in many cases it’s cheaper to just catch your own and break the law. What’s odd is going to Europe and seeing North American trout species for sale.

Reactions: arowanaryan

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
I’m kinda the same way. Cold tolerant temperates are my thing and as anyone who knows me sturgeon specifically. The issue within the US is that a lot of states prohibit keeping native fish or transporting live native fish. This ruins the market for people trying to sell them since A.) the permitting can be expensive and B.) in many cases it’s cheaper to just catch your own and break the law. What’s odd is going to Europe and seeing North American trout species for sale.
Yup. Good ol greedy Uncle Sam was invited into the aquarium room one too many times, finally saw some money to be had in it. Truly pathetic what causes they will leech onto for a buck. Unless its determined to be an immediate threat to the environment, by somebody who actually knows more than "fish have gills", then it shouldn't be regulated. It's preposterous, how many people are really aiming to raise a Muskellunge/Lake Trout/LMB? How many of each would it take to change the species-make-up of an entire pond? Nevermind a lake.. These regulations should be exposed for what they are, an attempt by the government to make ordinary people pay-to-play if they want an aquarium they can stock for free. An extortion scheme pandered on to those who've come to believe its "for their own good".

If you're sure they aren't, and you're sure it's for the betterment of our freshwater environments and not The Almight Dollar, then I have a bridge to sell you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store