Raising a EBJD and Oscar together? Growth rates, bad idea?

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
Just keep an eye on the Oscar as he grows and good luck with ebjd. Hope he does well for you. I have 3 skunk corys, will probably get a few more. I have another cat, but is a Raphael and vanished as soon as he was released. I've seen a flip of his tail and that's all. I refer to the Raphael as my "invisible cat".

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
Just keep an eye on the Oscar as he grows and good luck with ebjd. Hope he does well for you. I have 3 skunk corys, will probably get a few more. I have another cat, but is a Raphael and vanished as soon as he was released. I've seen a flip of his tail and that's all. I refer to the Raphael as my "invisible cat".

MJak23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2016
I picked up a baby tiger oscar yesterday for my 90gal. He's sitting alone in a cycled 10gal right now. First thing he did was eat all the ramshorns off the glass lol. He's about 1-1.5inches long, very tiny.

I saw EBJD for about $15 at the LFS. They told me they get them from a local breeder, I don't have much more info than that. They are only about 1inch long. Will the oscar outgrow the EBJD enough that he'd just eat the EBJD as a snack? Is this a terrible idea? Alternatively I can get a 3-4inch EBJD but they're $50.. steep price.

I was also considering a gold severum instead but that blue colour on the EBJD is just so enticing.

I guess I could get both a baby gold severum and baby ebjd. If one of them doesn't make it I'll still have a tank mate for the oscar. If both of them get to juvie size and I get an overstocked tank I can look for a new home for the gold severum.

Ideas?
I've had my Oscar with my JD since both were around 2in. I got my Jack first and she hid all the time but when I got my Oscar her personality really started to shine. They stay side by side and share the same pot. It might just be luck and could change when The Jack gets bigger but I say go for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store