rant on 125s

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
a good 80% of 125s look absolutely horrible in my opinion. most of them are just rainbow gravel'd or bare bottomed, are stocked full of line bred/hybrid cichlids, dying oscars, goldfish, or bichir. Bichir are acceptable fish in that case. Wild oscars are also acceptable in that case. I don't want to be gatekeeping things like goldfish, red spotted severums, EBA's, etc, but to be honest I don't like them. I've come full circle, and let's just say my username on here is outdated. Filling a $600 tank with fake decor and rainbow gravel just seems like a waste to me. 125s are a good model, and if I could afford one I'd just make a big biotope out of it. Cost for decor in that case isn't even a factor, I can easily find someone who's trimming their trees or something to get good looking branches for free, leaf litter is free, and I can sneak some nice rocks out of a lake, for free. Of course a good looking tank is very relative to your idea of beauty in a fish tank, but in my opinion, I don't understand how a bunch of big ugly fish in a 6 foot long tank with a thin layer of pink gravel and marbles on the bottom with some plastic plants, sitting somewhere in your house is aesthetic in any way. I know for 90% of a fact that it's meant to be aesthetic, because most people who dedicate a room to fish and have it more hidden away, and usually do have not so aesthetic tanks that are more made for practicality, usually won't keep fish like that in such a large tank that can be used to house more fish for one, and two, more interesting species. I do understand not having decorations in a tank like that for things like larger cichlids because they'll bang themselves up, and they do need the space for themselves. but 3 goldfish in a 125? part of the reason I think goldfish shouldn't be prizes at fairs, because they end up eating hundreds of dollars out of the pockets of the right people. Fin

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Idk, if I had a 125 I’d be a planted tank with tons of catfish!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
As a owner of two 125s I do agree about the circus decorations, I don't care for them. Now some fake plants are surprisingly realistic and would use them.

In one tank is a solo 11in Amphilophus. I have tried decorations but he destroyed it, moved it all to a pile in one end etc. So he has a couple rocks he can't move as a cave and has moved all the sand to his liking. This tank is in my dining room
20200602_212508.jpg
My other 125 is planted with smalls, Amatitlania Nanolutae, Tetras etc. This tank is in my room
20200723_231241.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
At the end of the day it’s their tank and they’re going to do what they want to do.

Also if you wish to then you can talk to a mod about getting your username changed.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Really? 80% of 125s? Are you talking about ones you see on MFK? Because I don't think that's the case. Or maybe you're saying in your own personal experience of what you've seen? I agree in that I love a natural looking tank. No circus colored gravel here! Lol ?

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I wish I had a 125. You know what I'd put in it? Anything I freaking wanted. Go back to Aquagrad. Maybe the politbureau will make you party driftwood chairman.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I just don't like the footprint of standard 125 gallon tanks. If a tank isn't at least 24'' deep, I won't keep it.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
As a disclaimer, I own a flowerhorn.

I don't think there is anything wrong with those species. I like goldfish (only the fantail variety though), oscars and red spotted sevrums a lot. Common goldfish at fairs are really just not for tanks, should just go in pond.

If I do biotope, I would like to have 180 gallon tank or bigger with some SA/CA cichlids primarily viejas.

Not a fan of unnaturally colored gravel or bare bottom tanks as well. Nor fan of unnatural decorations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store