Rays on a budget- My (somewhat long) story w/pics

Mattehx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2013
Australia
Wow, truly epic story that I'm sure will unfold for the better. All the best. Spent about 2-3 hours reading this, time I was supposed to be working on a report but well worth it. Such a good read.

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
thanks for the encouragement. Just a quick update- I think I am finished with looking for a "job". I might still come across something part time...but the whole thing just became too depressing and I finally realized that the time I spent worrying and searching for work could be better spent. Got our tax refund back, so we have some breathing room while I continue to "re-group".

Also...In the middle of everything being great with the Rays...my male (the only one left, A Marble) somehow injured himself and stripped off about a 2" x 2" piece of skin. It wasn't a bite...perhaps there is still some sharp flashing around the PCV drains...but at any rate, He got sick and died. I've never seen skin stripped off like this..it was just hanging off like cloth and nothing but muscle underneath it. I'm wondering if maybe his skin was still a bit fragile from being unhealthy due to neglect. Even though I have been taking great care of them lately, I feel terrible for neglecting them as I did.

I'm really glad I still have this thread going. I may come across as someone who always wins, or never gives up...but really I am quite the opposite. I have given up on so many projects and fought with depression for my whole life. This thread gives me inspiration too...I read it sometimes too. Between what I have put in this thread and all the encouragement...coming back to it often reminds me that I CAN.

Mike

Reactions: Matteus

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
keep on keeping on man.
I've checked out this thread once or twice over the time it has been up.
I don't know your circumstances, cause I just read your last 3 post's...
I've been at my job for 15yrs and everything I enjoy has came from that. Recently my company sold and got bought out by a new one. I'm the manager over a departement and I know I might be replaced by one of their guys as time goes by. I battled with it also, but I have come to the conclusion that I know what I am worth. I will probably take a big pay cut and find a new job. But I can also sell my truck and buy a beater, to eliminate that payment, which will help alot.
I guess I don't know if any of this really goes with your story, I will try to read your thread soon and give you some more feedback.
All I'm saying is when one door closes, all you have to do is open the next one to keep on going!!! It can be a very emotional ride.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Inspirational read Mike, These times (while tough and sometimes painful) are what make us stronger. I have always believed that if I hang on with my dreams long enough... that one big break will eventually have to happen, it is the law of nature. I always think that I have some how missed several of these big breaks, because I was busy working for someone else... Never give up and it will pay off!

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Getting motivated now that I'm way behind on things. Right now I'm installing tile floor in the living room and my body is totally rejecting the work. It's been a week-long project, but it needed to be done. The rest of the house is a mess though...concrete dust everywhere in the kitchen and the floorplan is a maze of couches and furniture. I need to get this done, but my back and muscles hurt like hell so, again, I haven't started the work day yet...

Then I've got to get caught up downstairs and get to work on other things that are coming up fast.

It's time to get the race car out and go to work on it. Racing season is coming fast and I haven't touched the car all winter. Nothing like a good thrashin to get things ready but I am excited about this season. Racing is a very big motivator for me, and I've got a deal worked out that puts me at the track. I've basically leased the car out on Saturday nights in order to pay my own racing bill on Friday nights...I think it will work out very well and it will relieve the stress of money issues from my funtime.

Mike

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Mike,

this life is full of challenges from beginning to end, and at some times more than others. I will pray for you, in the hopes that God will shine a light into all of this for you. I have had patches of time that I wouldn't wish on anyone, and He pulled me through spots so bad that in my life before Him, I would've considered ending it all.

Best to you!

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Yes I'm still working with the Tilapia although I havn't been working real hard to keep them breeding as I have no outlet for them at this time and not enough room to grow them out.

Working on a lot of things though, actually. I need to get some pictures up, but our wide angle lens got broken and All we have is a big telephoto right now.

I've constructed my first aquaponics system. 400+ 1" fingerlings in a 110g stock tank and a growbed made out of a 40g stock tank. Complete with a light and everything. Right now I'm using it to get 20 strawberry plants off to a good start and I've got a lot of seeds I've started too. I plan to move these fish out to a swimming pool and they will feed a LOT of plants. I may keep this setup inside too (using the extra light). It's a good place to grow fingerlings and experiment with smaller crops.

Lots to get busy on... I've got started, but it's tough to stay motivated.

Mike

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
FOOD! I started these seeds and built this system only 3 weeks ago. Maintenance is no different than if I was just feeding fish. Those Tomato plants are 14" tall...they took 10 days to Germinate, so they grew 14" in 12 days.

DSC_0194.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus and Dloks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store