RC clod buster project

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Got all the Faskolor paints for it last weekend as well as some paint masks and also had a vinyl lettering place do up some custom made decals in a really cool font for the name on the truck. Years ago I had a 50's panel truck clodbuster with a grim reaper on the side and it was named "Sandman" (after Metallica's Enter Sandman song) so I was actually able to find the same reaper paint mask for this one I used back then which is cool. Also got the airbrush cleaned up and dusted off since I hadn't used it in years but it's ready to go now. Probably be a couple weeks though till I can work on it again, got slammed with rod orders over the past week so that's gonna keep me busy for a bit.

Fat Homer Fat Homer - I had forgot just how addicting RC can be. Get this....The past week I've already bought up about 75% of the parts to build up another set of Clodbuster axles lol :) Once this truck is done I plan on building another. The next truck I'm going to make a custom carbon fiber frame and it's gonna be a hardcore lightweight basher that I can hurl 10ft high and not worry about it.
Metallica’s Black album is still one of my favourites till this day... pretty much every track was good on that album...

But yeah, RC is definitely addicting, especially when you come back to it after so many years... the advances in tech and what can be done is pretty crazy these days! Then when you add someone talented like yourself in fabricating, it just takes it to a whole new level...

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
+1 for Metallica Black
+1 for RC.

Drove down a side street today not too far from my place and accidentally found a specialty RC store. Will be taking my "toy" over there to get fixed soon so I can play again.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I found a pretty good somewhat local shop about 10 miles from my house last weekend. There's a Hobbytown store I had heard about so went and checked them out last Saturday. Pretty decent selection there. They have an X-Maxx that I was eyeballin' hard but I just can't bring myself to pay $899 for it lol
Honestly, for those types of high price tag RC’s look online... plenty of deals for cars with all the bells and whistles for a quater of the retail price...

Seen some fully modded X-Maxx’s for around $300... really just need to keep an eye out...

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I was looking a few days ago to see if I could find any X-maxx for less, but seems all I can find so far are used for $600+ If I could find one for $300 I'd snap it up in a hurry.

Ah wait, I bet you're probably talking about the 6s X-maxx aren't ya? I was looking at the 8s one :grinyes:

Reactions: cockroach

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I was looking a few days ago to see if I could find any X-maxx for less, but seems all I can find so far are used for $600+ If I could find one for $300 I'd snap it up in a hurry.

Ah wait, I bet you're probably talking about the 6s X-maxx aren't ya? I was looking at the 8s one :grinyes:
Nah, i’ve seen on very rare occassions people getting out of the hobby selling X-Maxx 8s for as little as $300-$350...

I’ll admit Its not a common sight, but it does happen... if you are on FB at all... check out this group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/927137337337859

This is mainly a traxxas buy / sell / trade group, their main group Traxxas Extreme Customs has close to 30K members, so sometimes you can score good deals or find some sweet local promotions (thats sadly useless for me in Asia)...

Reactions: Steve_C

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
I've been a part of a few Rc buy/sell Fb groups for a couple months now but first time seeing that one you linked. Thanks just sent a join request. I bet a $300 xmaxx doesn't last long for sale lol. I was looking last night and there's even a roller xmaxx (no electronics at all) on ebay right now that's already bid up to $450. Just crazy what people are willing to pay for that. I wish they would come out with a newer truck so the X maxx prices would drop like the T maxx ones did back in the day.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've been a part of a few Rc buy/sell Fb groups for a couple months now but first time seeing that one you linked. Thanks just sent a join request. I bet a $300 xmaxx doesn't last long for sale lol. I was looking last night and there's even a roller xmaxx (no electronics at all) on ebay right now that's already bid up to $450. Just crazy what people are willing to pay for that. I wish they would come out with a newer truck so the X maxx prices would drop like the T maxx ones did back in the day.
Rollers are quite common on this group, so hopefully you’ll be able to at least find some better deals here...

The admins are pretty tough but fair in this group as well, so its a bit like an RC version of MFK...

it maybe worth looking into their main group so you can post some of your current build pics up... coz they’d love to see your build on there since they arent just about traxxas when it comes to questions and custom stuff...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/423283887878751/?ref=group_header&view=group

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Got most the masking done tonight as well as the name on the side and the drop shadows on the flames. The yellow is just masking, flames will end up two shades of blue with mirror chrome tips. Reaper face on the side is gonna take a while when I get to that, lots of small detail work in his face. Been 15+ years since I broke out the airbrush, I forgot how much I use to enjoy it.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store