Gold Tier RD., Esteemed Contributor (upgrade from silver)

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I would like to take this time to nominate RD. RD. for an upgrade to Gold Tier “Esteemed Contributors” Award.

Whether it’s advice on health & care issues, tank set up & maintenance, species ID – not to mention some pretty nice photos with a $20 camera – the depth and breadth of his contribution to MFK over the years is rivaled by only a tiny handful of long-time, VIP members.

Just to follow protocol, here are but a few of his well-known and often visited Threads that have helped literally thousands and thousands of fish keepers from around the world. The fact that a good number of these are Stickied threads tell us a lot about his knowledge and quality of his input.
Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus
Cost Effective Water Conditioners
The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture (Read!)
Garlic and the Prevention of Disease

And while I know that not everyone is super keen on his at times blunt, no-nonsense styles of input and delivery, I think nearly everyone on MFK respects his knowledge and passion towards advancing the hobby on this site for so many years.

Along these lines we must also note his perseverance and loyalty to MFK itself: through thick or thin and any ups or downs the site has celebrated/endured over the years, RD. RD. has stuck around and helped significantly with others to carry the torch further and higher. That's called dedication.

If there were an Award for “Defender of MFK Keep” I’d nominate him for that, but as it is Gold Tier “Esteemed Contributor” seems deserved recognition for his efforts as one of the site’s stalwart contributors for well over a decade.

What say you MFK?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
While I don't disagree with either the nomination or the sentiment behind it, I must insist on pedantically thorough documentation for gold tier awards.

Do keep in mind that the Contributor awards are for a Member who is particularly gregarious and drives conversation (which I believe we can all agree applies to Neil).

The links posted however are more Academic in nature. The Academic awards are for those bright minds who help to teach other people, as opposed to those who drive discussions and activity on the forum. Imo, the evidence provided falls well within Neil's gold tier Esteemed Academic award.

Also, as an administrative note for the awards program, this nomination must be considered a nomination for an upgrade, as Neil already has a silver tier Distinguished Contributor award, which seems quite in line with his level of activity.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thanks for the input Chicxulub Chicxulub . And please excuse if I didn't post the nomination correctly, I thought that I was in fact nominating RD. RD. for an upgrade from his Silver Tier Esteemed Contributor Award.

And granted while yes my links happened to be to more academically related threads, most did feature plenty of conversation after the OP, much of which was driven by RD. RD. And isn't that the kind of conversation we're trying to drive on MFK for everyone's learning?

When one considers both the volume of Neil's posts, and the length of time he's been making them -- especially when compared to many other longest-term members, many of who come and go or pop in and out on rare occasion (for various reasons) -- I thought the upgrade nomination was suitable.

Neil on the other hand is posting, interacting and driving conversation on this site on pretty much a daily basis -- and in many different sub-forums of the site, not just a few like many of us do. So with all due respect I'm really not sure how much more gregarious one could be (and pretty consistently for 12 years) -- unless this also means hanging out in the Lounge and shooting the breeze, which Neil doesn't seem too keen on, he'd rather be driving conversation in the fish related sub-forums from what I've seen.

So again I personally thought the upgrade to Gold Tier Esteemed Contributor was deserved, but can't by any means claim to be very knowledgeable about this whole Awards process.

I would consider to copy and past 50 recent posts by Neil showing how gregarious he is, but frankly given your personal (and very well respected on the site) opinion that Neil's current status as Silver Tier is in line with his activity, I'm not convinced that would be very time effective for a busy single dad/fish keeper-- s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶b̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶d̶r̶a̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.

Neil -- maybe in another 5 or 10 years -- in the meantime post twice as much and try not to fight with anyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for the input Chicxulub Chicxulub . And please excuse if I didn't post the nomination correctly, I thought that I was in fact nominating RD. RD. for an upgrade from his Silver Tier Esteemed Contributor Award.

And granted while yes my links happened to be to more academically related threads, most did feature plenty of conversation after the OP, much of which was driven by RD. RD. And isn't that the kind of conversation we're trying to drive on MFK for everyone's learning?

When one considers both the volume of Neil's posts, and the length of time he's been making them -- especially when compared to many other longest-term members, many of who come and go or pop in and out on rare occasion (for various reasons) -- I thought the upgrade nomination was suitable.

Neil on the other hand is posting, interacting and driving conversation on this site on pretty much a daily basis -- and in many different sub-forums of the site, not just a few like quite a few of us do. So with all due respect I'm not such how much more gregarious one could be (and pretty consistently for 12 years) -- unless this also means hanging out in the Lounge and shooting the breeze, which Neil doesn't seem too keen on, he'd rather be driving conversation in the fish related sub-forums from what I've seen.

So again I personally thought the upgrade to Gold Tier Esteemed Contributor was deserved, but can't by any means claim to be very knowledgeable about this whole Awards process.

I would consider to copy and past 50 recent posts by Neil showing how gregarious he is, but frankly given your personal (and very well respected on the site) opinion that Neil's current status as Silver Tier is in line with his activity, I'm not convinced that would be very time effective for a busy single dad/fish keeper-- so I hereby withdraw the nomination.

Neil -- maybe in another 5 or 10 years -- in the meantime posts twice as much and try not to fight with anyone :)
Hey now, don't withdrawal anything! I won't allow it. ;)

I'm not allowed to vote. I removed that ability from myself a long time ago. I can give my opinion however. My opinion is that while I think Neil has earned his silver, a gold is still very within the realm of his worth. I am also of the opinion that you've made a compelling argument with this post.

Just this week the community upvoted a bronze award to a silver. I won't stop the community from upvoting a silver to a gold.

This will stay open for the rest of the month, and Neil will be upgraded to a gold based solely on the votes, not my opinion.

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hey now, don't withdrawal anything! I won't allow it. ;)

I'm not allowed to vote. I removed that ability from myself a long time ago. I can give my opinion however. My opinion is that while I think Neil has earned his silver, a gold is still very within the realm of his worth. I am also of the opinion that you've think you've made a compelling argument with this post.

Just this week the community upvoted a bronze award to a silver. I won't stop the community from upvoting a silver to a gold.

This will stay open for the rest of the month, and Neil will be upgraded to a gold based solely on the votes, not my opinion.
Thanks boss, appreciate your further clarification and that's cool it'll be left to the community, let the chips fall as they may :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store