Recommended Heaters for 180 Gallon

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would recommend an inkbird controller, working really well for me. There is two plug ins so when the temp gets too low you can have both heaters turn on.

I would have said two 200watt but looks like everyone is thinking 300watt, go with that!
Don’t think it’s too far off to be an option.

Reactions: piranhaman00

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Don't use an aquarium calculator, read the heater manufacturer's instructions. Not all 300 watt heaters can heat the same amount of water.

2 x Eheim 300 watt heaters will be fine for a 240g. Other brands' 300 watt heaters are not rated for the same amount of water as Eheim. I generally keep my winter temperature no lower than 75F. It takes it about 1 hour to raise the temperature by 1F. General winter room temperature in the morning is 60F.

I would use a heater controller to make sure that both heaters turn on and off at the same time. This prevents one heater from doing most of the work.
Would it be possible for you to link a good controller I can buy?

And which one of these should I get?

Not sure what the difference is.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Do you have a controller? And can someone tell me what the controller doses? Like is it justb a timer or can I set the desired temperature with a controller?
Yes, I am using an Inkbird controller. And yes, you use it to control the temperature. It has a little metal wand that senses the temperature, and I just keep the Jagers set a touch hotter than I have the Inkbird. The Inkbird is at 74, and I think the Jagers are around 75-76. The Inkbird is easy to use, don't sweat it.

If something fails in one of these heaters, it's most likely to be the thermostat, then your fish will cook if you don't notice. This device is much more reliable than the little built-in thermostats.

Last edited:

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
so i dont have a pic of the post up but this is a picture of the Sheetrock i cut with just a razer knife. then i just put a 89 inch section of w4 x 13 Steel I beam. with 2 adjustable jack post see the links for the ones i bought. for 4 jack post and 2 pieces of i beam it cost me $300. also i can take them down and bring them to my next house and just screw the Sheetrock back up and $3 worth of Sheetrock compound and you will not even know it was there. the pipe that is running in the pic i just drop it 4 inches and ran the beam above it. i went with steel for the size and strength the beam is only 4'' x 4'' and it will take 13000 pounds at an 8 ft span before the deflation would be to much for my tank.

View attachment 1388598
Wow. Spoken like a true mfk’r, well done and welcome home I’d say.

Funny enough, I was just wondering if a true temp 1000w would be too much for a 180. I am currently running a 500w eheim on it. It has been able to do the job so far but was about to switch it out for the true temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store