Red-bellied piranha bitten by others! What now?

GermanPiranhaLover

Feeder Fish
Jan 2, 2018
Hi everyone, I am new in this forum, but I really need your help. I have 6 red-bellied piranhas in a 720-liter freshwater tank. Four of them I got "second-hand" when they were already a few years old, they are now about 25 cm long. I added two smaller piranhas less than a year ago, those are now 15 cm. They all got on well together.
A few weeks ago, though, one of the smaller ones injured himself on his head. Even though the scratches healed quite well, he started to behave different, excluding himself from the shoal. His left eye also protruded a bit.
Now the shoal has attacked him and bit a part out of his belly (picture). We isolated him and got the vet to examine him. The vet found Plesiomonas shigelloides. We don't know what to do now. Placing him back into the tank is not possible (we tried that before, he instantly got attacked again). Could the bacteria be the reason for the attack? What would you do?

Here is more information:
720Liter tank
JBL Test Lab: nitrate 40 mg/L; pH 7.0-7.1; nitrite 0.05 mg/L; phosphate 40 mg/L; total hardness 4-7°; ammonia <0.05 mg/L;
aquarium is running for about 10 months
6 red-bellied piranhas, 17 Crossocheilus oblongus, 2 red bruno, shrimps, snails (Planorbarius corneus)
quarantine for all new fish
temperature 25 degree Celsius
live plants: Vallisneria, anubia barteri
Filter: Fluval FX6
some natural sunlight, mostly neon tube T5 (one), lights on for 2 pm-10 pm
changing water every week (about 1/4th to 1/3rd)
food: defrozen smelts, shrimps, conch meat, once to twice a week.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!
Brigitte (I am from Germany)

20171231_172540_bert.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone, I am new in this forum, but I really need your help. I have 6 red-bellied piranhas in a 720-liter freshwater tank. Four of them I got "second-hand" when they were already a few years old, they are now about 25 cm long. I added two smaller piranhas less than a year ago, those are now 15 cm. They all got on well together.
A few weeks ago, though, one of the smaller ones injured himself on his head. Even though the scratches healed quite well, he started to behave different, excluding himself from the shoal. His left eye also protruded a bit.
Now the shoal has attacked him and bit a part out of his belly (picture). We isolated him and got the vet to examine him. The vet found Plesiomonas shigelloides. We don't know what to do now. Placing him back into the tank is not possible (we tried that before, he instantly got attacked again). Could the bacteria be the reason for the attack? What would you do?

Here is more information:
720Liter tank
JBL Test Lab: nitrate 40 mg/L; pH 7.0-7.1; nitrite 0.05 mg/L; phosphate 40 mg/L; total hardness 4-7°; ammonia <0.05 mg/L;
aquarium is running for about 10 months
6 red-bellied piranhas, 17 Crossocheilus oblongus, 2 red bruno, shrimps, snails (Planorbarius corneus)
quarantine for all new fish
temperature 25 degree Celsius
live plants: Vallisneria, anubia barteri
Filter: Fluval FX6
some natural sunlight, mostly neon tube T5 (one), lights on for 2 pm-10 pm
changing water every week (about 1/4th to 1/3rd)
food: defrozen smelts, shrimps, conch meat, once to twice a week.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!
Brigitte (I am from Germany)

View attachment 1291740

Instinctively some fish species will attack sick or the weakest among the group. Tbh would isolate if it is infected.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My guess is being smaller it got picked on and was tagged. Once weak and stressed the other p’s were just doing what they normally do in the wild.

I believe the bacteria took hold of a weak and stressed fish.

Would keep it separate and beef it up till atleast the same size as the other piranhas and reintroduce. Try keeping some plants and decor to take away lines of sight and direct paths.

Just my suggestion.

Reactions: tlindsey

GermanPiranhaLover

Feeder Fish
Jan 2, 2018
Thank you so much! What do you think about putting a plastic wall with smaller holes in the tank and keep the injured piranha apart from the others this way? He might like that better than a separate tank for months to come?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you so much! What do you think about putting a plastic wall with smaller holes in the tank and keep the injured piranha apart from the others this way? He might like that better than a separate tank for months to come?
That’s fine to do as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store