Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

red belly piranha information thread

Discussion in 'Piranha' started by rajatariqmustafa15, Aug 21, 2014.

1. rajatariqmustafa15

rajatariqmustafa15 MFK Members

Jun 9, 2017
      RED BELLY PIRANHA
      redbelliedpiranhaaquariumphoto.jpg
      WHERE DOES IT LIVE
      the red bellied piranha or red piranha (Pygocentrus nattereri) is native to south america it is found in the amazon river basin, coastal rivers of northeastern Brazil,and the basins of the Paraguay and Parana

WHAT ARE THEY
      They are omnivorous and they mainly feed on insects, worms, crustaceans and fish.as you know they travel in shoals for self defines as it makes them stornger and this way they can overcome their meal.

DESCRIPTION
      they are ferocious predators, but still they are kept by thousands of fish keepers. as the name suggests they have red belly's as they grow bigger( but their true colours come out when they are fully grown. juveniles are silver with darker spots as shown in the picture. they grow to a maximum length of 13 inches. but in the aquarium hobby their length can be smaller. Females can be distinguished from males by the slightly deeper red color of their bellies, female red bellied piranhas can give to about 5000 eggs in vegetation nest made by the male.as far as the growth is concerned they grow to about 1-2 inches a month until they are 6 inches and once they hit the 9-10 mark they grown less then 1 inch a year., but aquarium quality can have a huge impact on growth. as you know they have razor sharp teeth which is capable of ripping flesh from their pray, they are mainly shy and when frightened they will play dead. they have lifespan of 12 years. which means they live with you for a long time.
      Red-bellied-piranha-juvenile.jpg (juvenile)
      AVERAGE TANK SIZE FOR RED BELLIED PIRANHA
      One single red belly piranha can be kept in a 20 gallon tank, so a hundred gallon tank can house at least 5. never keep a pair of red belly piranhas as the dominate one will bully the weaker one which will either cause it fatal injury's or even death.

IN THE AQUARIUM
      pirahna-01.jpg
      The tank should have driftwood and dim lighting. Soft, acidic water preferred. Live plants will help to remove excess nitrates and CO2 from the water. A strong filter waterfall type filter is recommended. Under gravel filters are not a good idea, as the less your hands are in the water, the less stress they will be under, and lessen the likelihood of a nasty bite.Never keep a pair of red belly piranhas as the dominate one will bully the weaker one which will either cause it fatal injury's or even death. you need to have a lot of hiding spaces for the fish as they are shy, you can compare them with the silver dollars. They will try to nip live plants.

TANK MATES
      i do not prefer putting other fish with red bellied piranhas as they are extremely aggressive and when hungry and not feed they will most probably eat that fish alive and the only thing you'll find is the head.:D
      there are some fish that people have managed to keep with the piranha, most people keep pacu piranhas with their red bellied piranhas and are mostly successful, but remember not everyone is successful. the most commonly kept pacu is the red belly pacu as they look just like the red bellied piranha but their is a significant difference between the two. View attachment 1032613 the pacu may be much bigger but still isnt as fierce as the red bellied piranha.
      other tank mates include oscars which is not recommended but some people have pulled it off and plecos.
      oscar_cichlid_wallpaper_-_1152x864.jpg oscar
      1a214577-dbc6-4811-8a57-4abd.jpg pleco

FEEDING
      the red bellied piranha is a meat eater and a feirce pradator is will start nipping and ripping flesh from its meal while its alive, i do not suggest feeding live food, as they may pass a disease to your fish.you can feed them dead foods such as shrimp, fish, chciken liver and they will certainly enjoy it, some owners have managed feeding their piranhas cat ans dog food but it contains a lot of fat and will effect the water quality, over time they can be train to eat pellets.so basically the piranha can be trained to eat almost anything overtime,When feeding live food you should starve your piranhas for one day otherwise they might not start ripping it to pieces immediately.

4977287438_c9e65012ec_o.jpg

CONCLUSION
      over all the piranha is a great fish, but definitely not for everyone. they are banned in over 20 countries. they are someties expensive, small 3 inch babys can cost you 30-40$ each and big ones can cost 100$ each. overall they are awesome. give me your feed back guys.
      images.jpg

redbelliedpiranhaaquariumphoto.jpg

Red-bellied-piranha-juvenile.jpg

pirahna-01.jpg

4977287438_c9e65012ec_o.jpg

oscar_cichlid_wallpaper_-_1152x864.jpg

1a214577-dbc6-4811-8a57-4abd.jpg

images.jpg

2. rajatariqmustafa15

Jun 9, 2017
      sorry for the different writings

3. rajatariqmustafa15

Jun 9, 2017
      Anyone any feedback?

4. joel

joel MFK Members

Joel
      Yesterday at 4:14 AM
      The first pic is actually pygocentrus notatus "Cariba" from the orinico river basin. Good info though

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

5. brich999

brich999 MFK Members

Bryan
      Sep 30, 2016
      The white text I read was decent but didnt see anything that wasnt in the basic care sheet sticky. Didnt bother highlighting the text so I can read black on blue background so I cant comment on much of it.

6. rajatariqmustafa15

Jun 9, 2017
      my bad

7. kevbc03

kevbc03 MFK Members

Mar 30, 2017
      It is extremely difficult to determine the sex as they are not sexually dimorphic.

I also disagree about the 20 gallon tank for a single red belly.

8. rajatariqmustafa15

Jun 9, 2017
      look dude I mean no disrespect but if u go online on wikipedia I've been reading.it tells us how to differentiate the sex and I also read on the internet that 5 are perfect for a 100 gallon aquarium. So one makes a it perfect for a 20gallon. You can go and check at least that's what I read.:drool:

9. JonY3k

JonY3k MFK Members

Jon
      May 10, 2017
      You said they are banned in some countries. Are they banned in any parts of the USA? They are cheap and easy to get in the Ohio.

10. Crazy mike

Crazy mike MFK Members

Michael
      Apr 16, 2017
      Aren't allowed in California and a few other states

Sent from my VS840 4G