Red Belly Piranhas vs Black Piranha vs Piraya Piranha

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So I'm new to fish and after spending some time researching, I have narrowed down my choice of fish to either Red Bellied Piranhas, Piraya Piranha or a Black Piranha. I am looking to get your thoughts and opinions on why I should choose one or the other and maybe help me decide on which one to get.

I understand that Black Piranha's are solitary and if I went for them, I would be getting only one fish. I do like the idea of having one big badass fish but a shoal of red bellies is always nice too. If I went with Red Bellies, my biggest major worry is their timidness. Countless youtube videos and some forums I've read, state over and over again that Red bellies in particular are very timid in nature. Now some people argue with this and I would like to find out if they are infact timid, or are these youtubers just not doing things right or have they got the short end of the stick?

I hear that with Black Piranha's, timidness is not really an issue. But at the same time, Blacks live into the 20 years. So it's going to be a long term commitment for sure if I went black. I like the idea of interacting with the fish through the glass and not having them be scared of me when I come by. I guess I'm looking to hear from others on what they think and hear some more about each one to lean me towards one side.

Piraya Piranha is a topic I know almost nothing on. I don't even know if they shoal or are solitary. I do know they get big though so I'm guessing they are solitary.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
why red bellies? it's the most common specie. get a better pygo...cariba, ternetzi or piraya.
Well space is a major factor as if I can't use my 65 gallon due to previous reptile use I would be buying a new tank. But my current situation involves me staying living where I am now in a house for another year or so and then I will have to move into an apartment for continued schooling. So moving etc will be involved. Moving a few hundred gallon tank is not really an option. But something like 125 or so I think is the max. With some wiggle room.

And I think the only thing keeping me interested in Red Bellies is their shoaling capability. But their timidness is pushing me towards other options like the Piraya Piranha or the Black Piranha. What other species would be good shoalers and why would you recommend them over Red Bellies?

And if I went with Piraya Piranha I would be only able to get 1 as they get to 16 inches and a single needs a big tank by itself doesn't it? So the single fish options are Piraya Piranha and Black Piranha. Can Piraya Piranha be solitary? Or is that not right?

1568183337482.png

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store