Red Cherry Shrimp and Goldfish compatible?

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
Anyone have experience (or luck) keeping small shrimp (less than 2 inches) with Black Moor Goldfish (~7 inches)?

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
I figured the shrimp would be preyed upon, but still wondered if anyone had successfully tried it. Thanks for the replies.

diamond*girl

Jack Dempsey
Nov 18, 2008
BC, Canada
I know this is an old thread, but hey . . . This is a subject I know about!

I have a heavily planted 70gal fancy goldfish tank - four 5-6" goldies, four Sae's, one BN Pleco.

I threw in a handful of cherry shrimp from my overstocked 10gal. thinking they would make a nice live snack for the goldies. To my surprise they were completely ignored.

This was about 9 mo. ago. There are now millions (!) of shrimp in there. They swim right past the goldies noses while they are eating, even.

I am amazed and pleased because the shrimp now clean up all the food debris that gets caught in the plants and the whole tank is cleaner.

Triton, if you have a source of cheap cherries - go for it! You never know. . .

002.JPG

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Still its bad idea to mixed small shrimp and fancy goldfish. In the wild goldfish prey on these small inverts...thats why their mouth are designed to suck out the inverts out of the muck and plants.

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
Thanks for the info Diamond*girl. I was thinking of starting a small 10gal tank for red cherry shrimp and putting any excess in the big 200gal tank. My only thing was having to take care of two tanks. My 200gal will be heavily planted and have numerous caves (mainly for the 2 blue lobsters). Once I get my 200 gal set up complete I'll be looking into starting a 10 gal for some shrimp and hopefully it will turn out with good results.

Thanks again. :)

knel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2009
Minnesota
Interesting post diamond girl...
I would personally like to try ghost shrimp with goldfish, we'll see how it goes

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
knel;3770985; said:
Interesting post diamond girl...
I would personally like to try ghost shrimp with goldfish, we'll see how it goes
the shrimp will either starve to death or be eaten.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
Triton;2602329; said:
Thanks for the info Diamond*girl. I was thinking of starting a small 10gal tank for red cherry shrimp and putting any excess in the big 200gal tank. My only thing was having to take care of two tanks. My 200gal will be heavily planted and have numerous caves (mainly for the 2 blue lobsters). Once I get my 200 gal set up complete I'll be looking into starting a 10 gal for some shrimp and hopefully it will turn out with good results.

Thanks again. :)
With a tank that big, you could tuck a breeder box or similar in one corner for your shrimp and it not be obtrusive. If you get the plastic kind with slots, it would even allow baby shrimp to escape into the larger tank to try their luck among the goldfish while the adults and more cautious juveniles stay safe inside the box.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store