Red dovii??? (Xanthic dovii)

Lunatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
The Milky Way Galaxy
Hmm, red dovii's are certainly a special fish that should be taken seriously... regardless whether it's pure or a hybrid.

But honestly, I'm not a hybrid fan nor would I want a red dovii (the Nicaraguan blue dovii look better IMO).

Reactions: CRDovii

CRDovii

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Where to start?
There has been so much speculation on this topic, but I really don´t understand why. All u guys had to do was ask the owner of the video (me) like some people did. I explained who, where, and how the doviis (yes, 2 of them) were caught. I have attached a couple of pictures to prove i am the owner of the videos in youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVMHMq5i4nw6vxlnAIuMh9A and the red dovii (or whatever u wanna call them) (These pictures were taken the very same night i was given the fish)
First of all, i´d like to clarify that I am CostaRican and that i live in my beautiful country perhaps that´s why i had not subscribed to this fish forum (though i knew about it) but the 2 local ones.
Just 2 years ago I didn´t even know of the existence of this morph either (Leucism, Albinism, Xanthochroism?) I dont know, I am not an expert.
I have been busy working, studying, taking care of my fish and fishing to try to catch a female of the same color to get pure "red dovii" fry, but as Mr. William A. Bussing, serious North American Biologist who wrote an entire book on Costa Rican Fresh water fishes, said it "only 1% of the entire Dovii population in Costa Rica present this color"
In the case of no sucess catching a female near where the 2 males were caught, plan B was to breed the males with "regular females" to obtain females carrying the gene. I was lucky to have found a female that already carried the gene and I obtained some fry with the red color (see youtube vids in my channel) and 2 weeks ago I was able to obtain fry from one of the red females and her dad. Here is the video of the happy parents.
If you are wondering why she looks like that, it´s just her breeding colors. In this other video you can see both of them in "orange"
Now, if genetic experts are not wrong, this batch of fry will be 100% "red" http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/Jateui/cz_pt_about-genetics-1.gif
Hopefully, i´ll find somebody interested in a fair deal to get these fish into the hobby in the States and worldwide. There are a couple of people here who can help me send the fish there, we just need to work out the details.
By the way, that last pic of the huge dead red dovii is not mine. It was sent to me by a friend of a friend... That poor guy was caught in another part of my country but by regular fishermen who decided to eat the poor thing, :(:(:(

Dovii hand.jpg

Doviis bucket.jpg

Big red dovii.jpg

Reactions: Vasquez

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Mauricio, thank you for coming on here and explaining!!!! I can't believe my eyes seeing that huge RED Dovii!!!!! Congrats on the spawn and the legend of Dovii red is here!!!! Beautiful beautiful and great job obtaining these Beauties!

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
that thing is stunning. ill happily look into a licence if you wont to send them to the UK lol

CRDovii

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
that thing is stunning. ill happily look into a licence if you wont to send them to the UK lol
I´ll definitively try to send some myself to Europe b4 somebody in the US does it.(after i´ve made a deal with someone there) hooliganATV

Reactions: hooliganATV

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Just a tip, if you sell them to vendors for wholesale prices don't give them away....these fish will bring a nice price initially..

CRDovii

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Just a tip, if you sell them to vendors for wholesale prices don't give them away....these fish will bring a nice price initially..
Thanks new world! Last year when all i had was the original pair, I was not able to do business with a famous american vendor because his offer was ridiculous. Another one is waiting for me to have 30 of these fry to come to CR and get them in person. We´ll see!

CRDovii

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Can u imagine what an adult red male like the one in the picture I mention is not mine would sell for in an auction site maybe?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store