red mangroves in freshwater... here it goes!

m1ste2tea

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Syracuse, NY
Skimming through the threads I see that a number of people wonder whether any mangrove plants can thrive in freshwater. I wanted the mangrove look so much that I decided to see what I can do. I bought 30 sprouted seeds on ebay. they were from Florida, and had roots and 2 leaves on almost every seed. after doing hours of research I decided to experiment with they conditions, see which will give me the best growth.

here is the breakdown

brackish
- gravel - fail
- floating - no apparent growth

freshwater
- gravel - fail
- sand - slight growth for some/no apparent growth
- floating - slow growth of the leaves

It should be noted that all of the plants were grown under a 108 watt t5 6700k light fixtures.

It should also be noted that the brackish conditions were mild, approx 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon. The results are after about 3 weeks.

Frankly I think the only thing that I have proved is that these seeds were originally grown in freshwater. but going from that information I then decided to try to grow as much of the remaining plants in my freshwater tanks.

here are the floating plants under the t5 bulbs

more floating plants, installed in the tank to be a mangrove tank. This tank has a repti-glo series 5 26watt compact fluorescent that also functions as a basking lamp for the turtle. the spectrum of this bulb is ideal for plant growth as well. the plants are approx 4-5" away from the bulb... for now.

this is the old setup before the accident

the leaves grew to twice their original size, some have a new shoot, and most look more green.

the old setup had the roots bunched up in 1.5 inch vinyl tube sections to force the roots to grow downward. these tubes were connected together buy a bunch of rubber bands. The idea was to allow water movement through the roots, and protect the roots from the pacus.

my turtle knocked down the suction cup attachment and ripped the elastics and the pacu thought that the leaves make a delicious treat.

So here is the do-over attachment same vinyl tube sections this time joined by zip ties, better suction attachment.

ran out of tubes!

and more on the other side...

for the near future I am building a 12" tall paludarium extension that will act as the canopy for this tank and move all of the mangrove plants to this tank. I will be posting updates on the mangrove progress and will have pictures of the build soon.

freshwater mangroves, no question about it, will happen!:headbang2

Da Chosen SouL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
San Jose, CA
I have 30 mangroves in my freshwater.. I have had them for over 1 year.. and they are big in bad.. I then switched them to my brackish water.. they did fine.. Then switched them back to my freshwater couple months later.. however, I lost like maybe 8 of them due to adding to much prime.. I dont think they do to well with added chemicals..

But yesterday.. I took them all out and planted them in a pot.. Im going to grow them out huge and throw them back in... How much do you buy your mangroves for?? and where?

jack-knife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2009
Underwater
free bumb man nice plants
:D

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
nice. i grew one in fresh water. it is hard to due. but good for u!! that is a good price. i want to do a brackish setup with about 30 mangroves so thanks for the tip:)

m1ste2tea

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Syracuse, NY
so here is an update of the mangrove growth. its been about 20 days since the last pictures that I have posted. Here is the progress so far...

these are grown under a compact fluorescent bulb

these are grown under a HO fluorescent bulb

this last one is recovering from the pacu munching on it, has grown a pair of new leaves under compact fluorescent bulb.

the growth rate of the leaves is rather normal. growth of the roots is pretty slow, but steady.

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
m1ste2tea;3896810; said:
Skimming through the threads I see that a number of people wonder whether any mangrove plants can thrive in freshwater. I wanted the mangrove look so much that I decided to see what I can do. I bought 30 sprouted seeds on ebay. they were from Florida, and had roots and 2 leaves on almost every seed. after doing hours of research I decided to experiment with they conditions, see which will give me the best growth.

here is the breakdown

brackish
- gravel - fail
- floating - no apparent growth

freshwater
- gravel - fail
- sand - slight growth for some/no apparent growth
- floating - slow growth of the leaves

It should be noted that all of the plants were grown under a 108 watt t5 6700k light fixtures.

It should also be noted that the brackish conditions were mild, approx 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon. The results are after about 3 weeks.

Frankly I think the only thing that I have proved is that these seeds were originally grown in freshwater. but going from that information I then decided to try to grow as much of the remaining plants in my freshwater tanks.

here are the floating plants under the t5 bulbs

more floating plants, installed in the tank to be a mangrove tank. This tank has a repti-glo series 5 26watt compact fluorescent that also functions as a basking lamp for the turtle. the spectrum of this bulb is ideal for plant growth as well. the plants are approx 4-5" away from the bulb... for now.

this is the old setup before the accident

the leaves grew to twice their original size, some have a new shoot, and most look more green.

the old setup had the roots bunched up in 1.5 inch vinyl tube sections to force the roots to grow downward. these tubes were connected together buy a bunch of rubber bands. The idea was to allow water movement through the roots, and protect the roots from the pacus.

my turtle knocked down the suction cup attachment and ripped the elastics and the pacu thought that the leaves make a delicious treat.

So here is the do-over attachment same vinyl tube sections this time joined by zip ties, better suction attachment.

ran out of tubes!

and more on the other side...

for the near future I am building a 12" tall paludarium extension that will act as the canopy for this tank and move all of the mangrove plants to this tank. I will be posting updates on the mangrove progress and will have pictures of the build soon.

freshwater mangroves, no question about it, will happen!:headbang2
dont know about u but i bought some and they grew very fast in my brackish tank i dont know about freshwater i think the ones i bought were in freshwater mine are rooting in coral sand but sadly i have to start bonzaiing them to keep them under the lights

schaadrak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Uppinnia
Not that you're not getting great results, but it should be noted that mangroves grow best in very fine, very nutrient rich, and very anoxic/anaerobic soil. So growing them free floating or in plain gravel or sand might provide enough nutrients for them. Maybe try filling one or two of the tubes with top soil topped off with sand and see if you get better results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store