Red spots on walking catfish

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I dont think that right now the fish is stressed... this fish has came from very poor conditions and this is probebly the cause for this situation. but right now i dont think stress is the factor, i think this disease has already took hold and it should be treated. moreover i dont see any cause for this fish to be stressed.I dont think its mouth rot either.. i never seen a case of mouth rot looking like this. I read about a disease that attacks catfish called ESC,does somone heard about it?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwardsiella_ictaluri

Edwardsiella ictaluri (also known as Enteric Septicaemia of Catfish, Hole in the Head Disease, and ESC) is a member of the Enterobacteriaceae family. The bacterium is a short, gram negative, pleomorphic rod with flagella. It causes the disease enteric septicaemia of catfish (ESC), which infects a variety of fish species (including many catfish species, knifefish andbarbs). The bacteria can cause either acute septicaemia or chronic encephalitis in infected fish. Outbreaks normally occur in spring and autumn.

HITH is a common disease. There is a sticky in the corresponding forum on it albeit it seems the root cause is debatable. There are people saying that it is caused by a parasite, not by a gram-negative bacteria as this article states.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store