Red Tail Barracuda Tank Mates

FreshyNut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
New Jersey
Hello everyone, first post! I recently bought a 75g aquarium and was planning on putting a Red Tail Barracuda in it. I currently have a 14" Tire Track Eel and 4" Eclipse Catfish in my 55g and was planning on putting them in the 75g tank with the Cuda. Are they compatible with each other if the RTB is acquired as juvenile? I also would like to know any recommendations for another tank mate or two, I was considering a Pacu, even though I know I may have to give him up within a year. Also was thinking about a Six-banded distichodus possibly?
I plan on having the tank moderately planted with a sand substrate and driftwood/some flat river rock.
Another question, I was looking into Payara, they would get too big for this tank correct?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fire eel and sun catfish are fine tankmates.

Would say no to the pacu. They can be nippy.

6 banded distichodus would pass as well. They get big and can be aggressive to smaller fish when large. Plus will eat plants since ur planning in the future.

Payara as in scomberoides would be fine. Not armatus. Need to get the cudas first and grow them out till they get as big as possible. Otherwise will become a meal.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I personally don't think 75 is big enough for all those fish, but I don't have a lot of experience so i would ask some of the well-known members who may have had fish that size and have experience.

Good luck though:)

the sun cat and fire eel should be fine, but if its long term i don't think the barracuda can and also armature from what some of my serious fish keeping friends tell me are very aggressive.

FreshyNut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
New Jersey
Fire eel and sun catfish are fine tankmates.

Would say no to the pacu. They can be nippy.

6 banded distichodus would pass as well. They get big and can be aggressive to smaller fish when large. Plus will eat plants since ur planning in the future.

Payara as in scomberoides would be fine. Not armatus. Need to get the cudas first and grow them out till they get as big as possible. Otherwise will become a meal.
Thanks for the info! So you think I could have both a Red Tail and the smaller Payara in there if I raised the Cuda first? And would that leave me with room for anything else if the Eel and Catfish are in there?
I would love to have at least one aggressive BA fish in tank and then one or two more middle swimming fish that likely wont get eaten by the barracuda (I understand there's no certainty with these predatory fish).
I was also planning on moving my 5" Chinese algae eater into the 75g.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Red tail cudas aren't very aggressive. Especially with just as aggressive tankmates or more aggressive ones.

Large cudas are fine with smaller scomberoides. But must never feed live foods. Lots of plants and decor.

Forgot about the fire eel. They do get too big even for a 75g. That's the main issue with them and the potential stock you want.

Hard to have a BA fish with the cudas.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I agree with everything kno4te has said however you said tire track eel, I've read they can be more territorial and have bigger mouths yours is already large and will probably grow faster than the very thin cuda, so the cuda may become a meal. Also the eclipse cat, I assume you mean sun cat, mine grew pretty quick to 10" then slowed down, they have a good size mouth on them and will eat a fish if they can, they can be very nocturnal ime so I don't think it's a smart option. Also not to mention the tire track eel will reach a thick 3' one day.

If you're looking for an aggressive fish, it will be the only fish you have in a 75g. If you want cudas a lot of your choices will have to be ditched. You will have to get the cudas first and let them grow for starters then think about what to put with them.

Ej6hatchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2016
i keep mine with a purple wolf, striped pike characin, and a hoplo catfish. it used to get picked on by the striped pike characin, but now that it has gained size, it tries to pick on everyone but the wolf, but i think its just sizing up to them. i have not seen any real "damage" on the other fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store