Red tail payara care

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Actually guys i dont have a payara YET but i really want one. Also anybody with ATF experiance? I want both but idk if the ATF would be all good with my jardini (aggressive as all hell). For sure buy a larger tat then i would buy like a 2-3 inch armatus and grow it up to move in the main tank.. But the plan is to get the biggest tank i can buy (used) with $1000 and build a sump for it. So far a 200 gallon so ya. I had a red tail payara before at like 10 inches and died:(, ill put up a pic here in a second of it. Thanks everyone for the help, lets keep this thread goin!
-Dean
ATF with a jardini is a BAD idea. The jar will beat the hell out of the atf and it will grow a lot faster than the ATF. Its almost guaranteed that the jar will kill the ATF unless you start with an ATF that is MUCH larger. Even then, the jar is a brawler that is not to be taken lightly. If by some miracle the ATF manages to last, and this is especially true of the Goliath, it is liable to get tired of the jardini's shenanigans cut the jardini in half. ATF are very able to defend themselves if they so choose, but tend to be more predatory and passive than truly aggressive (with the exception of conspecific aggression).

Its a bad combination.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
that's right!^^^^Jardinis are one of those "rouge" fish that are VERY hard for them to keep with tanksmates. They will bully fish that swim in the same level as them. Only a HUGE tank with tough tankmates can prevent it (not garenteed) or just keep bottom dwelling tankmates.

deansouth11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2012
America
I found a great deal, this guy is getting married and needed to minimize his hobbies so he has a red tail payara, armatus payara, vittatus tigerfish, and a goliath tigerfish. He NEEDS to get rid of them and sayed $50 each!!! Best deal ever and no defects and all 7 inches. Should i sell the jardini and buy them? Btw thanks for the advice but i had a feeling that those werent gunna end up well. Then again they would be very similar in size but id rather sell the arowana and make a good bit of $$ instead of a nice meal for my new fish.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Me? The Jardini would be gone so quick your head would spin. To each their own though; I like silvery predators that do well in groups. A Jardini really isn't a silvery predator and it damn sure doesn't do well in groups. If you like your jar and can accept having it by its self, go for it. If you have the ability to get an enormous tank, go for the characins. You're right though, those fish are a good deal!

deansouth11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2012
America
@Chicxulub ya im with you, i really need to take advantage of that deal but the guy wont respond, these are like my wish list and theyre at the top by far, but i was going to have to buy a baby armatus and a baby goliath and then buy 6 inch tat and vittatus and keep them separated till they caught up to the tat and vittatus.... None the less a real pain in the butt. Btw love your fish and what you think of my tat?

deansouth11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2012
America
My jardini beat it up when i threw it in so he died a while back and dont have any more pics sorry...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store