Red Terror Tank Mates?

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Davey_8313;3334846; said:
I had more fish than I have now in my 150. I got em all between 1-2". You should be able to have quite a few in there. I had a pair two pairs of cons in my tank, but my wife made me take them out b/c they had babies, lol. Just make sure to have some hiding spots for the fish....
Haha did the fry get eaten? I have a seperate tank for breeding cons for food :p Im a little young to be married but Mum doesn't seem to think its very humane haha.

If i get two pairs i'll put them in my other 150 and breed them out cause Quality RT's are hard to get around here.. lots of incorrectly advertised "Red Terrors"

The tank has alot of rock hides so that should be fine, more of an issue with Mr RT Bullying MRs RT down the track i think, then seperating might be required, ill have to monitor it closely

Davey_8313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
With Wife & Kids in Stafford
The cons are hers so she didn't want them to get ate. I've been powerfeeding so mine are growing quick. I don't think they would've touched the fry, not worth it, lol. I know someone w/ a big 10" male RT that's the king of his 265. He just bought two females for him so I'm hoping it works out so I can get some fry, lol.

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Davey_8313;3334879; said:
The cons are hers so she didn't want them to get ate. I've been powerfeeding so mine are growing quick. I don't think they would've touched the fry, not worth it, lol. I know someone w/ a big 10" male RT that's the king of his 265. He just bought two females for him so I'm hoping it works out so I can get some fry, lol.
The fry not getting eaten can be a problem for Cons.. next thing you know you'll have 200 of different sizes.

From what i've read, RT's can bully they're gf's pretty badly if they arn't in the mood, hope he has some kind of divider in place! A 10" Male would be impressive! Strong too... so hopefully the divider is siliconed in place haha

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Davey_8313;3334724; said:
Look at what I have my festae w/ in my sig. No fighting at all...

Sig: 150G: 6" Pbass, 2" Texas, 2.5" Midas, 2.5" Festae, 2" FH, 3x 2-3" Convicts, 4" Salvini, 1" Blood Parrot, F1 Dovii Pair

It is highly unlikely that this stocklist will get along as adults. It not a good idea to suggest stocking based on very short term "success" with baby fish...

Davey_8313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
With Wife & Kids in Stafford
nc_nutcase;3334901; said:
[/COLOR]

It is highly unlikely that this stocklist will get along as adults. It not a good idea to suggest stocking based on very short term "success" with baby fish...

Oh, I know. I just said that b/c he was going to get them all as juvies. I said I plan on building a tank/pond later. It's going to be about 800g, in the planning stages now.

sick_lid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Austin, TX
If your really wanting the festae pair, do as peanut said, and throw them all in there as juvies, at once. Get 3 or 4, from diff places if you can, and see which ones form a bond. It won't be a waste getting rid of the other 2, you'll actually gain money. You'll have a better chance of the pair getting along with the rest of the tankmates this way, than just introducing them into someone elses home at a later time..

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
sick_lid;3335009; said:
If your really wanting the festae pair, do as peanut said, and throw them all in there as juvies, at once. Get 3 or 4, from diff places if you can, and see which ones form a bond. It won't be a waste getting rid of the other 2, you'll actually gain money. You'll have a better chance of the pair getting along with the rest of the tankmates this way, than just introducing them into someone elses home at a later time..
Thanks for the advice :)

Getting several from different places could be difficult however.. not many places at all around here (Brisbane, Australia) that have Festae for sale.. Extra research time I guess!

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Joshooo;3334889; said:
The fry not getting eaten can be a problem for Cons.. next thing you know you'll have 200 of different sizes.

From what i've read, RT's can bully they're gf's pretty badly if they arn't in the mood, hope he has some kind of divider in place! A 10" Male would be impressive! Strong too... so hopefully the divider is siliconed in place haha

I agree with introducing all the fish together as juvies. and once you form a pair sell the other festae. you shouldnt have a problem with male beating up female if you keep them in 350 with other tankmates, as he will more likely take aggression out on the other fish.
My first pair of RT's i kept in own tank and he beat her up from time to time even with a incomplete divider. Right now i have 7 adolecents growing out in a 180 all 4-5" and my large male is goin back and forth between two females right now, still pairing. Good luck and keep us posted.

fishbee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Brissie OZ
Joshooo;3335475; said:
Thanks for the advice :)

Getting several from different places could be difficult however.. not many places at all around here (Brisbane, Australia) that have Festae for sale.. Extra research time I guess!

dude, where have you been...?:ROFL: almost every second lfs in brisbane stocks festae, and i mean the real festae, not the mayan like a lot of people in the states complaining about :cry:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store