Red Terror Tank Mates?

oHsNaP1337

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
CA
Dude, if you have a 360 gallon don't worry so much about space. Introduce them all as juvies if you can and have a lot of decor for them to hide and claim. Get any cichlids that can whole their own against the Festae, so you have a lot of options.

tk750s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2009
minneapolis, MN
I have 6 festae and one midas growing out in my 125. I heard that the RT's grow quite slow so i got the smallest midas of the group. Six months later the midas is the biggest and the second most dominant. The festae started to turn color around 4" and i see i have 4 females and two males. The Dominant male seems to be doing some mating behavior with two of the females. The agression is rising every day and those two females seem to be fighting for mating rights. I hope it turns out having two mating partners for the one male festae like someone else on this board. But until a clear pair is formed im hesitant about removing any other fish.

danny2875

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
Astoria, NY
you should be fine if you have that 360g.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Joshooo;3334771; said:
Davey_8318, I'll be getting them as Juvies but i'm planning ahead for increases in aggression and territory requirements.

Peanut_Power, Will these marking be evident when they are only and inch or two long? I was thinking about having a texas cichlid and a flowerhorn or two? maybe even some convicts for fry food haha
I have a texas in with my female. He doesn't hurt her but doesn't give her a moments rest. She's 5" the Texas is 7". I'm looking for a male now. I'll ready to pull the texas if I get a festae pair. I'd hate to lose him. The only time I've seen my female color up is when I put a flowerhorn in the tank for 2 days while I moved his tank. She fell in love instantly! He couldn't care less about her. He did push everyone else into a corner but never messed with her.

tk750s;3337385; said:
I hope it turns out having two mating partners for the one male festae like someone else on this board. But until a clear pair is formed im hesitant about removing any other fish.
I got my female from this guy. It was pretty amazing to see 2 breeding females with fry in the same tank with one male. The female I got was a third wheel hiding in a top corner, but just as pretty.

DAVEY!!!! you have a friend with a 10" male and didn't tell me!!!!!!!:banhim:

climacoolair

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Brisbane Australia
Joshooo;3334859; said:
If i get two pairs i'll put them in my other 150 and breed them out cause Quality RT's are hard to get around here.. lots of incorrectly advertised "Red Terrors"
Hey Joshoo

There are plenty of these guys in brisbane. And also there are only true red terrors in australia not mayans that i've ever seen.
Go to Pet city they currently have at least 2 tanks with about 150 1 - 2 inch fish to pick from.
As for tankmates i keep an individual female in the community in my signature but if they pair up and get bigger , even in that big a tank, it could mean trouble for the other inhabitants.

Good Luck with the Festae !!

Dave

festae 12.JPG

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
climacoolair;3339114; said:
Hey Joshoo

There are plenty of these guys in brisbane. And also there are only true red terrors in australia not mayans that i've ever seen.
Go to Pet city they currently have at least 2 tanks with about 150 1 - 2 inch fish to pick from.
As for tankmates i keep an individual female in the community in my signature but if they pair up and get bigger , even in that big a tank, it could mean trouble for the other inhabitants.

Good Luck with the Festae !!

Dave
Just letting you know that mayans are indeed here. I have come across them from time to time.:)

CHRIS79

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2006
COS
I've been lucky with my pair in a 220 they are in with 2 balas a honduran jag, male la cieba, female freddy, female convict, a firemouth the male festae has always been the boss and a very good one at that only defends himself but his presence has always broken up quarrels.... so it depends on fish like always, also got to add he did not like green terrors he killed 2; had to take out my mota who was getting testy along with a few other guys but hopefully you get a nice pair of bosses. Oh also since I new they would breed I set up a corner just for them which worked out but good luck

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
I have never seen a Festae in a pet store within about an hour of my house!!
I live in cleveland? Where are all these pet stores with the Festae? Ill have to check them out asap :) Pet City? Never heard of it, will hit yellow pages though :)
Would prefer 2 each from the different sources if possible!!

fishbee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Brissie OZ
theres pet city in mt gravatt, exotic fish connection in rocklea, smiths in boondall, they sell good quality fish just to name a few

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Joshooo;3342339; said:
I have never seen a Festae in a pet store within about an hour of my house!!
I live in cleveland? Where are all these pet stores with the Festae? Ill have to check them out asap :) Pet City? Never heard of it, will hit yellow pages though :)
Would prefer 2 each from the different sources if possible!!
Never heard of Pet City? You need to get out more:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store