Reddit Rant

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Truly the wild west of the hobby. Experienced my biggest eyesore of 2022 looking at the identification section of the cichlid reddit, at first it was nothing out of the ordinary, people trying to sex rams and acaras, identify petsmart mbuna or flowerhorn strains... and then there was people saying a pure spilurus was a severum convict hybrid, people calling a nicaraguensis a geophagus, and the whole rainbow of people being misinformed of what they were buying and people playing charades trying to figure out what everything is. People being sold JDs as rivulatus, synspilums as oscura, etc.
As much as we talk about preventing misidentification and subsequent bastardization of species/lineages through such on here, I don't think much of the influence is getting very far, and I would consider that thread the flagship of that. I don't "always want to be right" in that sense, but what I do want, is to make sure that at least third parties looking in on the conversation get correct information out of it, so I guess in a sense I do want to be right, because I want to be correct. Hence why it (admittedly) pained me so much to see so much misinformation going around, and people bandwagoning off of them based on shotgun google searches. I do my research before I talk about something, I try my best not to catch myself talking out my ass, about anything for that matter, and it pains me that so many people nowadays are unable to. Lotta cleaning up to do.

Belial

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
illinois
its the worst. how many pictures of water test kits are necessary its the least exciting thing i can think of. talks about 3 month cycles. every tank is overstocked if you ask them. no matter the issue people are having you'll get a response of WHAT ARE YOUR PARAMATERS???? my fish has a missing eye the water is not the issue here dude. the terms "absolute unit" and "chonk"

Reactions: Krismo962

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
what i find bad is that so many people ask stuff. What i find a good thing but then on the other hand, you can just google it.

Not al sites are trustworthy but some sites are defiantly on point with all their information.

Or people who ask why their fish is sick but then dont want opinions about that tank. And then keep in mind that the tank is so overstocked that it must have an ammonia issue what causes the disease. or terrible combinations of fish that are bound to be sick cause they need very different waters.

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
I hate it when I ID something but they downvote me. Recently, I identified someone's fish as Garra cambodgiensis but the comments that were upvoted said it was a flying fox, Chinese algae eater and Siamese algae eater which it clearly wasn't. It's like a hivemind where a comment is downvoted into oblivion. One person downvotes it and the others mindlessly do the same.

I do somewhat enjoy arguing with Redditors over the ID though. I see it as a chance to educate others.

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
Anybody who uses social media to get accurate information about almost anything lacks the intelligence to know the difference. Try Google Scholar, but then the in thing today is to deny science.

Never has Forrest Gump been more relevant- STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES.

I am not on any social media and likely never will be. I have never even visited Reddit.

I see it as a chance to educate others.
You can lead an idiot to the fountain of knowledge but you can't make them drink. *sigh*

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Anybody who uses social media to get accurate information about almost anything lacks the intelligence to know the difference. Try Google Scholar, but then the in thing today is to deny science.

Never has Forrest Gump been more relevant- STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES.

I am not on any social media and likely never will be. I have never even visited Reddit.

You can lead an idiot to the fountain of knowledge but you can't make them drink. *sigh*
Admittedly it's different when you're talking to trustworthy people through social media, Jeff Rapps has Instagram. Though I see what you're saying when people go in blind looking for answers.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store