Redtail catfish suddenly not eating

RTC_KEEPER

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2020
My redtail catfish suddenly stopped eating and I see that he is having a little trouble breathing, what should i do?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Check ur water quality first.

RTC_KEEPER

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2020
I did and it is the same as it was before

Tank size is about 60 cm, the redtail catfish is about 13 cm and his tankmate is a gar that is about 17 cm. water temp is 23 degrees celcius and the ph level is 7

It's normal and same as before, im not sure why he is not eating tho

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Just as kno4te is telling you.

Please familiarize yourself on how to ask a health-related question in a way that'd be potentially helpful to your fish and to you (please see links below). The less info you give us, the less of a chance we can say anything helpful or even sensible.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

RTC_KEEPER

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2020
my redtail catfish ate normally, it was just that the frozen food was expired. After I gave him new frozen food he accepted it and was healthy again. But after some time in the morning I saw that the redtail's upper fin was ripped and first I thought it was a disease but then I saw the gar trying to eat him. I moved the redtail catfish in another tank but he refuses to eat and spit out all the food that was in his stomach earlier. WHAT IS HAPPENING?????

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
So your red tail was getting beat up, which is stressful for the little guy. Then you move him to another tank to be away from the gar, good move, but moving tanks can also be stressful for fish. So he's got stressed from two issues, the bullying and the moving. RTC's are renowned for regurgitating their stomach contents when stressed.

I'd let him settle in his new tank with lights off for a while. Maybe add some salt to help with his injury and don't try and force the feeding issue, he'll eat when ready.

Most important, keep that water clean and stable parameter wise to prevent stressing him even more.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
This is why one of the first questions asked dealt with water parameters Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are very good ways to diagnosis fish.

you should be testing these often.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store