regular wood into aquarium wood?

Rj37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2011
california
hey, does anyone know how to make regular tree wood into aquarium wood.. like safe for the fish to be in ?
thanks
Rj:headbang2

circumbus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2011
Singapore
should be fine. just quarantine it in a separate bucket of water or something for like a couple of days and give it a good rinse too. just make sure it doesn't have any flimsy bits attached to it that might fall off. cos if you have cichlids in the tank, they're gonna tear it apart im sure lol

spotted-elk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
colorado
I found some nice wood when i was hiking an it seems like little parts come off in the water fish didnt mind it at all just a little dirty.

jakeca77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Golden State of Mind
I don't really know the process for making wood safe but I wouldn't use any wood that is still green or high in oils or sap like pine trees or eucalyptus.

Rj37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2011
california
cool thanks u guys, ive also been reading around and ppl say that if u take wood and bake for a hour or so then boil it for 2 ish hours its safe for aquariums and then wash it off o soak in for a couple of days its safe and sinks

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
make sure you don't use Cedar though I heard something in it is toxic to fish

Jon M

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Port Saint John, FL
I believe the reason most driftwood last so long is from the salt petrifying or preserving it. If you use regular wood it's likely to rot and dirty your water over time. My Dad just had this happen in his tank, and when he took this old piece of driftwood out it cleared right up. I believe it wasn't actually petrified DW and was just regular wood.

Browser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Minnesota
I just soaked mine in the sink with hot water for a couple of hours, then let it sit in the sun for the day and then repeated again the next day, noticed the water didn't turn yellow and its good to go haha.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As many have already mentioned just make sure you check what type of wood it is first... since some will leech toxins into your water and possibly kill your fish...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store