Relatively new gar keeper - need advice

SebastianMichaelis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2017
Currently, it's living with an albino bichir. though less than half of its size, it hasn't been attacked once by it ever since I put them together a year ago.

Am I able to keep them together, or should I move the bichir to a different tank?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should remove then senegalus. Likely will be a meal.

SebastianMichaelis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2017
should I feed it once a week, more, or less? The only thing I have available for its food are goldfish and feeder guppies.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You can feed it daily or evey other day. I feed evey other day just to avoid over feeding and bloat issues.

You don't have any massivore, carnisticks, smelt, shrimp, tilapia or baitfish? Are there any lfs near where u live? Walmart?

Is it that you prefer feeds fish? Would soak the goldfish with some vitachem if u can get any.

SebastianMichaelis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2017
As I live in Indonesia, there are no walmarts nearby for hundreds of miles.

As for the other feed: I could look for those pellets, shrimps are too expensive, and the other fish might be the same as well.

I chose to use live feed since currently it's the cheapest and most readily available. There has been some time where shrimps were nowhere nearby for a few weeks. Though live ghost shrimp can easily be acquired.

By the way, this is the picture of my gar and set-up (not yet finished) :
upload_2017-2-3_18-34-43.png

upload_2017-2-3_18-35-10.png

Is this tank adequate for the gar? Also, with this picture, what species is it?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
no that is absolutely horrible for that fish. The container is WAY too small and has no filtration! and that is in fact a gator gar. You are looking at a 6 foot 100 pound fish in a matter of 5 years. Would you want to live in a closet that you can barely turn around in? that fish needs a 400 gallon tank minimum in my view...

Do yourself and the fish a favor, sell it or build a BIG pond. I don't know how you can look at that fish barely fitting in that tub and have to ask if that's ok....

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's a gator gar and gonna get massive. As mentioned already it will need a pond to live in long term. They get too big

Consider upgrading asap if not able then donate/sell to someone who can provide for it. Best of luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store