Remote deep sand bed for freshwater?

the-obstacle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
I'd be a bit concerned about cories digging up the sand a bit too much in a dsb. I'm sure it's not a problem to sift the surface and I'm sure it's a totally unjustified fear but I'd want to avoid the risk of one of them digging a hole and letting the nasties out.

'vspec'

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
narr see thats the thing, I let them go for gold, ive even seen them up to their eyeballs in sand. So if they do, its giving a greater aerobic zone, pushing the anaerobic deeper. Plus massively assist diffusion to the lower levels & keeps your bed significantly cleaner.

Cories, they are joy to have in my tanks. Sterbai are still my preference.

her209

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
The Internet
Picked up two trumpet snails at the LFS today. That's all they had but I got them for free. The snails quickly dug into the DSB after being added in.

As for the worms, I think they're dead or have been eaten up because I don't see them sticking their heads/tails out of the gravel anymore.

her209

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
The Internet
Ordered 100+ MTS off the Internet last week and got them today. I put the snails into the DSB and they are doing a great job stirring the top sand around. Every so often, a snail will dig up a patch of sand and release a gas bubble. The MTS definitely work better than the California blackworms.

her209

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
The Internet
Just a quick update. I was looking at the deep sand bed this week, and noticed two black spots starting to develop on the right side of the container.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
what are the advantages of a DSB compared to a Fluidized Sand filter?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
DSB is nitrate removal by anaerobes, fluidized sand is nitrate creation by aerobes.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
My fish have created one in my 220. It's been there for 6 months. Probably 4-6" deep in one corner. It's in the front of the tank so I can see the black sand and every once in a while I see a nitrogen bubble pop out. I'll try to grab a pic tonight. I'll be breaking the tank down in a few weeks and will remove it then. I've been terrified they would move it but they put it there and seem to like it there. No worms, snails or other critters to help with diffusion. Also no tests on this tank to determine how well it's working. Just an FYI that they do work in freshwater and to some extent without the sand critters.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
knifegill;4647773; said:
DSB is nitrate removal by anaerobes, fluidized sand is nitrate creation by aerobes.
why would you want to create nitrates? To remove them afterwards?

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Miguel;4649500; said:
why would you want to create nitrates? To remove them afterwards?
All bio filters create nitrates. The DSB's, denitrators, plants, resins are a means to remove/lower nitrates between water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store