Removing net from catfish spines?

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
So today my platinum senegal bichir went nuts and attacked my platysilurus mucosus, taking his barbels off and shredding his tail. Now I have a cup I use to deal with my cats so they don't get hurt from nets but in the case I had to use a net to remove as he was getting mauled and could not get him in the cup., I cut the fish out of the net but a piece is stuck on his dorsal spine. Any tips to remove this without harming him? It is not really affecting him at all he is swimming around fine in his temp home.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So today my platinum senegal bichir went nuts and attacked my platysilurus mucosus, taking his barbels off and shredding his tail. Now I have a cup I use to deal with my cats so they don't get hurt from nets but in the case I had to use a net to remove as he was getting mauled and could not get him in the cup., I cut the fish out of the net but a piece is stuck on his dorsal spine. Any tips to remove this without harming him? It is not really affecting him at all he is swimming around fine in his temp home.

I personally would just leave it be probably will come off in time. No need to stress Catfish out more.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The net pieces usually fall off sooner or later by themselves. If the piece is small enough and the fish swims fine, I'd give it time to see if it detaches by itself or with the fish' help.

Aqua_Bankie

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Wait for it to fall off ,it may not be instant , I had a Sorubim Lima get a badly tangled pectoral fin worst catfish tangle I've had and I was sure id have to try and cut it off , but it fell off , it did take a few weeks but the fish was fine and it didn't add the stress to it of removal etc

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
My experience, I snap of the spines. Didn't know they could come off. My piraiba & giant mekong, mostly pectoral spines. Panic, too long out of water will endup killing such sensitive fish, that's the only solution at that time.

After a while, change all my nets with larger holes, nylon nets. Holes too big for their spines to get caught but small enough to catch smaller catfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store