Reptile in a 50 gallon

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Just about everything I’ve read (including a reptile forum I’m on) says that cresties can only be together if breeding, very occasionally does it go otherwise. Gargs are the same way. I’d assume other rhacs would be similar.
i know it’s recommended to keep leachianus in groups because of how social they are (could be a very cool idea for your tank if you can source them) and i admittedly figured the same could be done with all new caledonians since most geckos seem to do good in groups. keeping multiple specimens of most things together in the reptile world is kind of a taboo so i think thats why people say not to do it. i keep my leopard geckos together even though its often advised against. it usually comes down to multiple reptile specimens cant be kept communally if theres a male in the tank.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yeah, males definitely no. Females hit or miss. I do think it isn’t as bad as everyone says about mixing.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Pity you don't want snakes, rainbow boas are pretty nice.

Regarding insectiores: have you considered culturing your own fruit flies (for smaller herps) or dubia roaches (for larger herps)? It'd take time for the colony to get going, but I think you'd be able to significantly reduce food costs.

Maybe check out some of Clint's Reptiles ' YT videos? I'm not sure how much stock you should put into his videos, but they might give you a few ideas.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store