Rescued Goldfish- Red Spot Under Both Gill Covers

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hey guys. There is a problem with one of the small feeder goldfish I rescued off craigslist last week. I will note that the rest died from stress and the ammonia in transport. (Long story, originally there were 5 common goldfish and 2 rosy reds! If you haven't seen my other post they were in with rare mesoheros atromaculatus cichlids, 2 cory cats, and a gibbiceps? pleco who are currently in separate tanks! The guy didn't even bother putting fresh water in the transport bucket wtf :eek:?) I'm honestly amazed at the turnaround these 2 little guys have made. I didn't expect any rescued fish to make it at all! The goldfish seem to be acting healthy and happy now but the red spot you can see here under both gill covers on this little silvery guy is REALLY worrying me. It is almost the size of his eye on both sides. Here he is, couldn't get a pic of his other side he kept begging for food:
20170112_102850[1].jpg 20170112_102856[1].jpg Is it some type of ammonia burn that hasn't healed? Is it a parasite? The underside of its gills (from what I can tell) seem parasite free. The rest of his body seems fine, bad phone pictures haha.
AND YES I KNOW a 10 gallon is bad, but it's all I have to work with until I can get my car back to pick up a huge tub from home depot, I will be giving them away to someone on here soon if they are healthy enough (within the month) or I will pick up another large tank (probably a 75, all I have room for atm) since the fiance likes them. They receive at least 2 50% water changes per day (the other rescued fish get them too) as well as a siphoning of poop with a turkey baster whenever I walk in the bathroom (they are up on the counter in there for easy water changes with the shower right there). Whole lotta work has gone into saving these poor guys haha.

-----I have added salt as a precaution. Thoughts? I was also thinking he could be missing scales/part of his gills from a deformity, or it's just see through. Other than the spots there is no indication that anything is wrong. They are both eating and swimming fine, no flashing or anything odd. Should I increase the air going through there? I can set up an additional line for an air stone. I would buy a stronger filter but I have no car right now and the lfs closes too early for the fiance to drive over there from his work. I'd walk 3 miles each way but I'm out of shape and would die haha.

-----Filtration is only 2 whisper 3i mini filters, all I had as spares. The air pump they run off is on full blast (it was the one that came with my 90 gallon if that matters) so the flow is probably 2x the normal. I rinse the cartridges with the tank water to get the poops when I do my water changes. I mean dear god I forgot how much they shart all over, how can anyone see that and still keep them in a bowl argh. I only feed them a very small amount twice a day because of that.
-----Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
-----Tank is still in the last stages of cycling I think, ammonia registered before last night's change, did this morning's water change and tested just now.
-----Placed a big hornwort in there, doing good with the home depot light.
-----My pH is 7.6. Tap water tested fine on all parameters. Temp is at room temperature, about 65.

Haven't kept any goldfish in probably 10 years at least so I'm stumped if it's from the ammonia in that nasty transport bucket or whatever, rambling over, thanks!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yeah, could be a scar, was thinking it is just not going to go away. Did the same maintinance today and they seem to be swimming and acting fine. They have almost nommed all of the hornwort I put in there though, half of it is just stems now, hungry little things. :confused:

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Could well be related to ammonia exposure but goldfish especially mass produced GFs do seem to do develop a lot of tumors and weird growths also

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store