Resealing a 2nd hand 55g-worth it?

CarnivorousFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2019
I got a 55g second hand recently from someone who abandoned their aquarium. I don’t know how it is. The silicon is still in pretty good condition. But that’s where I hit a decision. The bottom right corner has a sort of glob of silicon that’s been pushed and lifted slightly. All other pieces look fine. (In the photo it’s the piece that looks thicker than the rest).
I thought they I should reseal it. However I read an article (can’t link it here) about how you should absolutely *not* reseal an aquarium. Because it would require the removal of all of the silicon. Including inbetween the glass panels. And it ends up being too risky. Because if you fail to get off every bit of silicon and realign each glass panel *exactly* the tank will separate over time. I’m very worried about leaks as I live in an apartment. I can’t leak test either because I own no sort of basement area. I have a porch but it’s cold where I live and I worry about the weather stressing the glass.

what would my best bet be? Risk the reseal or risk the potentiallyF8C93DDB-5EE0-407E-826C-B49EB392AD5D.jpeg compromised silicon.

Reactions: Canoeist

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have seen similar looking globs in a few different tank corners so I would just fill the tank,let it sit a few days and see if it holds water.

Reactions: lp85253

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
While its dry add some silicone to any questionable areas, be generous on the bottom if its getting covered by substrate. Leak test it on the porch in the morning and if no leaks by the end of the day, go for it. Or drop $50 bucks on a used one that you can see full of water. Always someone looking to get rid of 55 gallons and under.

CarnivorousFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2019
While its dry add some silicone to any questionable areas, be generous on the bottom if its getting covered by substrate. Leak test it on the porch in the morning and if no leaks by the end of the day, go for it. Or drop $50 bucks on a used one that you can see full of water. Always someone looking to get rid of 55 gallons and under.
So the 55 I have did hold water as that’s how I bought it. Also old silicon doesn’t stick to new silicon. So what would adding globs over the old stuff do?

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
No need for globs. If you can lay a bead over the existing it will adhere to the glass. Not a perfect solution but if you're worried it might help.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Like he said,new silicone won't adhere to old so if he is going to go the re seal route he's going to have to cut and remove all of the interior silicone or he will just be wasting the stuff.
I didn't type it earlier but I meant to also say that those corner gobs that I've seen before presentrd no problems and were probably done by the manufacturer.

CarnivorousFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2019
Like he said,new silicone won't adhere to old so if he is going to go the re seal route he's going to have to cut and remove all of the interior silicone or he will just be wasting the stuff.
I didn't type it earlier but I meant to also say that those corner gobs that I've seen before presentrd no problems and were probably done by the manufacturer.
Is it an issue that the globe can lift up a bit?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is it an issue that the globe can lift up a bit?
What do you mean? I don't think it would be an issue if it moves a bit as there should be enough silicone under or behind the glob to keep the seal.I wouldn't pick at it,I'd just leave it alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store