resealing a tank?

born2lovefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Indianapolis
I have a 40 gallon that I got used. I took off the top and bottom black trim and resealed that on. I noticed some air bubbles in the silicone on the inside of the tank. Should I just cut the top off the bubbles and put a layer of silicone over the old layer or should I use a razor blade and remove all the silicone and then tape it off and put all new on? THANKS!

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
if you're going to attempt to reseal it remove ALL of the old silicone. New silicone wont stick to cured silicone.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Definately possible. Not difficult even....I resealed a 135 and it didnt take very long or much effort.

When you go to put the new silicone on, clean the glass with alcohol, tape about 1/4 from each corner, lay the bead, spread it out, and then pull the tape off. It will look professional that way.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Rallys right the key to resealing a tank and not having it leak is getting every bit of the old silicone off.
You dont need to take the tank apart but get that surface really clean!

born2lovefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Indianapolis
I just need is 1/4 inch out? That doesn't seem like much, but I guess it just keeps the water from leaking through the corner since the top and bottom trim give it support. I might not get to resealing it to after next week because I have a 4-6 page paper due. This hobby is so addicting!

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Addicting!lol
I have about 30 tanks setup and yesterday I was out in the garage resealing 4 20 longs I got from a neighbor lol

jpatz18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Melbourne
just a tip. Go easy on the silicone the is no need to put globs of it on, i found that out the hard way!;) Nice thin bead. Silicone goes a long way:headbang2

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
rallysman;555250; said:
tape about 1/4 from each corner, lay the bead, spread it out, and then pull the tape off. It will look professional that way.
Now isn't that a fancy little tid bid :) Tastes like The finest food:) Excellent sugg.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
gomezladdams;555452; said:
Addicting!lol
I have about 30 tanks setup and yesterday I was out in the garage resealing 4 20 longs I got from a neighbor lol

Nice neighborhood. :headbang2

All I get is grief...

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store