Resealing a tank

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
DC6FF470-D0F8-4B19-9014-37BE1E6C02FC.jpeg hey guys, so I have to reseal a couple tanks. And I read many times that you have to let the silicone sit for 2 days before adding water. But, the silicone I bought, Aquascape clear silicone, says, “allow silicone to dry for 30 minutes before allowing contact with water”. I’m just interested, do I have to wait the full 48 hrs even if the company says I only have to wait for about 30 min?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I would wait as long as possible (up to week) personally...

Coz the surface of the silicone maybe dry, but the center areas may not have fully cured...

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I think what they mean is if you are repairing a water feature or a filter/skimmers for ponds and such to allow 30 min dry time before turning the water back on. “Water contact “
For real sealing an aquarium you need to allow the silicone to fully cure because you need the full strength of the bond to hold the aquarium.
I would wait a minimum of three days but usually give it a week before adding water.

Reactions: Zak03 and Fat Homer

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
I think what they mean is if you are repairing a water feature or a filter/skimmers for ponds and such to allow 30 min dry time before turning the water back on. “Water contact “
For real sealing an aquarium you need to allow the silicone to fully cure because you need the full strength of the bond to hold the aquarium.
I would wait a minimum of three days but usually give it a week before adding water.
Ok. That makes sense. Thank you

Reactions: BIG-G

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I agree wait at least 1 week. Personally I'd wait longer. When the stench of silicone is pretty much gone. Not something that should be rushed by any means

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store