REVIEW:Fluval FX5 vs Eheim Pro3 compared

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
I dunno about the tetratec stuff. I have two HOB filters of theirs that I got for next to nothing as the store was clearancing them out.

After using them for a couple of months, I know why they were so cheap. No matter how much I clean them, they still break down every couple of weeks.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
thanks guys for this link. very useful knowledge!

Thow428

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
New Jersey
I'm glad there's people like you on MFK. You make this site simply amazing. So much information in this post. Thank you for spending your time researching this!

MonkY

Feeder Fish
May 20, 2009
Bucharest, Romania
Hello everyone ! Nice review. I think both canisters are very good for filtering. But FX5 is definatelly better at mechanical filtering. That's why i was wondering how to improve my Eheim 2180 (it's the same as 2080 but with 500W heater integrated). What do you think, wouldn't be much better to insert some fine filter foam in the first (from the top) basket instead some Eheim Substrat Pro ? I mean, biological filtering is too much anyway... and 2L less wouldn't count that much. But trapping particles would work better with an extra filter foam, right ?

Also, i am wondering if i haven't done a mistake. I only had 2L of Eheim Mech, so i filled the rest of the first basket (from bottom) with 2L of Sera Siporax. It's about the same shape to redirect water (as Eheim Mech does), and will also do extra biological filtration. Shall i go and find more Eheim Mech or it will do just fine ?

P.S. One bad thing for 2180 is the fact you will almost not be able to use an UPS. It doesn't have a dedicated power cable for the heater, so it will kill your UPS in matter of secconds (instead of hours - after all, it will use arround 530W with heater on, while without heater it only uses 30W or so).

Thank you in advance !

CODzilla

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2009
UK
HrHagel;3531071; said:
http://www.onlineaquariumstore.com/acatalog/Tetratec_EX_2400_External_Filter.html

Tetratec ex2400 is the winrar.. just look at that price! and that's with EVERYTHING included!
Sorry to bump an old thread but I had to comment on this.

I have one of these and it's a pretty good filter, easy to maintain, plenty of media in there and a kick ass flow rate. The only problem is the noise!! It's like having an old microwave constantly running in the room. I thought it might be me setting it up wrong so I stripped it and put it back together without the media and it was still noisy! I got a brand new filter head from Tetra and it was still noisy. If you want a filter for a tank in your garage or something this is ideal but if you want it in your house you will have to look elsewhere!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store