REVIEW:Fluval FX5 vs Eheim Pro3 compared

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
don't confuse quieter with noisy. I've listened to an FX5 run and can't hear it through a tank stand. The differance is that the Eheim has a smaller motor located inside the cannister while the FX5 motor is exposed. Slightly noisier but it can be replaced easilly.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
gr8 thread!

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
I would definately agree; I've read other reviews on these 2 filters and i recall most if not all stated that the ehiem does in fact provide a better bio filtration; this is why I was considering buying this filter to begin with; one thing is though I never checked on the retail price. I then went to 3 different LFS even the petsmart and petco and found that D@MN!!! that thing is like 4 bills I was like hell nah......Instead I bought the Fluval FX5 and had had no problems so far. So considering the cost of the ehiem unit and the replacement media alone hands down I would go with fluval again.....I think it's just too much money for an aquarium filter.....IMO...

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
StiffMeister;847119; said:
well, we do have fish worth thousands of dollars... why not spend some money on filtration too?
Because we could buy more fish with the money saved =) =) =)j/k

but seriously yes this is true that we have spent thousands of $$$ in fish I agree but the effectiveness of the ehiem is better yes, but really not by much IMO. I bought my FX 5 and built a wet/dry of my own loaded with bio media for still less the cost. which in turn would be better than the ehiem.... I know it is a comparison of the 2 filters but economically I saved about 175 dollars just to get going with my fx5 and my DIY wet dry...plus considering the media replacements alone..that's $$$$ IMO.

again that is just my opinon......If you guys have the money to buy an ehiem more power to you; I could buy an ehiem but to me it would be better for my fishes to have my current set up...replacing all my media is still also cheaper.... it's really not the money but I just think that nothing is better than a wet/dry when it comes to bio filteration and the FX5 is a better mechanical...

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
You shouldn't be replacing all of your media anyway. My pro 3 will probably never get any changes of media, unless I lose all of my media from it. Bio-media doesn't exhaust like carbon does.

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
WyldFya;847181; said:
You shouldn't be replacing all of your media anyway. My pro 3 will probably never get any changes of media, unless I lose all of my media from it. Bio-media doesn't exhaust like carbon does.

I'm sorry I didn't mean my bio media....I meant just the filter flosses and the foam pads for my wet/dry and fx5...Bio media I've never replaced

Again I'm not argueing that the ehiem is nothing compared to the FX5 like I said I do believe it is a better filter so I hope the ehiem pro owners don't take any offense; but the difference in bio filterations is not worth another 2bills. Like I mentioned for less than 4 bills I have the wet/dry an fx5 and ended up with a much better filteration system anyway this is why i went that route instead.....

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
I can't edit this post so can someone please delete this entire thread?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
eman b115;847189;847189 said:
I'm sorry I didn't mean my bio media....I meant just the filter flosses and the foam pads for my wet/dry and fx5...Bio media I've never replaced

Again I'm not argueing that the ehiem is nothing compared to the FX5 like I said I do believe it is a better filter so I hope the ehiem pro owners don't take any offense; but the difference in bio filterations is not worth another 2bills. Like I mentioned for less than 4 bills I have the wet/dry an fx5 and ended up with a much better filteration system anyway this is why i went that route instead.....
Personally I wouldn't buy the eheim filter pads... they aren't at the same level, and filter floss is more effective.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store