REVIEW:Fluval FX5 vs Eheim Pro3 compared

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
i have both the pro3 and the fx5 and im with eman on this one,,, you can buy 2 fx5's for the price of the pro3

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
danny;847417;847417 said:
i have both the pro3 and the fx5 and im with eman on this one,,, you can buy 2 fx5's for the price of the pro3
Personally I don't see these two filters as being the same class. The FX5 is unparalleled in mechanical filtration of big name canisters, and the pro 3 is pretty bad at mechanical filtration. I also don't think that the 2080 is the top of the bio filters. A 2260 or 2262 can handle much higher levels of fish than either the fx5 or the pro 3. Of course the biggest issue with eheims though is the cost, which does make a big difference.

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
WyldFya;847429; said:
Personally I don't see these two filters as being the same class. The FX5 is unparalleled in mechanical filtration of big name canisters, and the pro 3 is pretty bad at mechanical filtration. I also don't think that the 2080 is the top of the bio filters. A 2260 or 2262 can handle much higher levels of fish than either the fx5 or the pro 3. Of course the biggest issue with eheims though is the cost, which does make a big difference.
yes your quite right the reason i got the fx5 is because the pro3 did such a poor job(mechanicaly),,,,,in fact i will correct myself,,you can get 3 fx5's for the price of 1 pro3 when you take into account the price of the media for the pro

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
If bio filtration is what keeping my fish alive isn't it better to have more of it that just a filter that sucks up all the gunk? Think about what happens to all those gunk sucked up by your filter. It stays there for however long until you decide to clean your canister. Breaking down and decomposing and contributing to overall lower quality of your water when you could have gravel vaced it out when you did a water change.

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
good point, and yes i agree with you too,, i use my fx5 just for mechanical and clean it reguler,the pro 3 is more than enough bio for my needs,,,but that said for the money you pay for a pro3 it should do a good job in both departments,,,dont you think ???????

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I don't ever run a single filtration system on anything. It's far too easy for an unforseen disaster to leave you with a tank full of dead fish. But for the differance in price I would have expected a MUCH larger dispatiry in preformance.
Flow rates are always measured empty because media, hose length and type as well as head pressure (filter location) all effects it. It's nothing more than a baseline. The same can be said for 'rated tank size'

The FX5 excells at mechanical filtration but with the baskets filled with bio media rather than the standard mix it does a great job of that as well.

The Eheim with additional polishing pads or floss can be just as good at mechanical filtration.

Niether one can in any way shape or form be called a 'bad' filter.

P.S. my wife reminded me of something about an earlier post... I've played Bass for a number of years
and just because I don't hear any noise dosn't mean the filters not making any...LOL

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
The eheim will last 10yrs + built to last

the fluwho i wouldnt go near with a bat

the eheim is cheaper to run

the fluwho is just one big sponge

if you think you need more sponge then with a simple add on the eheim has much more sponge just buy a cheap presurere pond bucket filter that is full of sponges when you buy it take one of the eheim drain pipes to the pond bucket before it gets to the eheim and the 2nd drain pipe direct to the eheim

this gives you a masive pre filter on 1 of the eheim drain pipes this is the advantage of having 2 drain pipes which the fluwho doesnt have

i run this method on both my pro3s and it works unbalivably well

if anyone need info on setting up a pro3 this way let me know you will be happy with the results :D

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
T1KARMANN;847688; said:

if you think you need more sponge then with a simple add on the eheim has much more sponge just buy a cheap presurere pond bucket filter that is full of sponges when you buy it take one of the eheim drain pipes to the pond bucket before it gets to the eheim and the 2nd drain pipe direct to the eheim

this gives you a masive pre filter on 1 of the eheim drain pipes this is the advantage of having 2 drain pipes which the fluwho doesnt have

if anyone need info on setting up a pro3 this way let me know you will be happy with the results :D
Tottally agree..Eheim all the time!!

But I prefer the 22/60 to the 22/80, let me add...

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
T1KARMANN;847688; said:

yes please:popcorn:

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
Eheim uses less electricity and that should also more than make up for the price difference in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store