Rex - My first bichir

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You may want to change to glass lids or something under the egg crate. My palmas sustained a nasty cut on its nose that tore away one of it's nostril tubes by jumping and hitting the egg crate. It did this twice over a span of 6 months. The nostril tube never grew back and it's got this weird piece of raise scarring tissue. They do jump high, my former 4" senegal launched itself about 3-4" above the water line when it got spooked as I was siphoning the tank, so lowering the waterline by at least that much may help if you decide to keep using egg crate.
My 12 inch senegal was clearing 6 inches of air with ease so I definitely would try to put something else there to cover it.
Perhaps you can cut out the netting of a net then tape it to the tank? It would bounce the del back into the tank I would imagine.

Reactions: tlindsey and MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
My 12 inch senegal was clearing 6 inches of air with ease so I definitely would try to put something else there to cover it.
Perhaps you can cut out the netting of a net then tape it to the tank? It would bounce the del back into the tank I would imagine.
That’s a good idea. I hadn’t thought to use netting instead. I have mesh material I can use so I won’t need to cut up a net. Thanks!

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
you could try but I havent found a good way to block them off. most the time it just causes the filter to back up and overflow. I now don't use h.o.b s on tanks with bichirs. I lost a nice ornate that way and almost lost a wc Senegal. i was there when it happened, the 5' fall to the concrete floor almost did him in.

• Sad
Reactions: Jexnell

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
you could try but I havent found a good way to block them off. most the time it just causes the filter to back up and overflow. I now don't use h.o.b s on tanks with bichirs. I lost a nice ornate that way and almost lost a wc Senegal. i was there when it happened, the 5' fall to the concrete floor almost did him in.
How sad:(

I just have to make this work till I get my fish room set up. Then he’ll be in a tank with a sump.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I've learned to never rush up to the aquarium's unless it's a emergency. Approaching slowing works pretty well so less spazzing out. As my Del got older she mellowed out. Enjoy your new prehistoric pet. :redface:
Thanks! It’s only been a couple weeks but I’m already in love with the little guy? I can see why those who have polys always seem to have more then one.... they are like chips. Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store