Rex - My first bichir

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Welcome to the poly club! I am also currently sitting with just a del in grow out, adorable little fatties for sure :D

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Congrats on your poly !!! They are great pets.

Some tips - pick up a small sheets of polypropylene or polycarbonate. To cover up any openings near the lid. I like to put a small piece of duct tape on each lid. Makes opening a pain but well worth it.

20200309_150511.jpg20200309_150503.jpg

Watch the diet. Captive bred dels will absolutely gorge themselves. The only poly death ive ever had that wasnt jumping related was our del spike. Keeping them in a group the del would gorge itself every feeding after a couple of yrs it was ridiculously fat. Me personally i wouldnt even feed it daily. Every other day is fine. Small polys generally like the little hikari carnivore pellets, tilapia, worms and small chopped bait fish work great too.

How many other fish are in with rex ?

Btw... hope this winter was easier on you than last years ice age lol

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Welcome to the poly club! I am also currently sitting with just a del in grow out, adorable little fatties for sure :D
Thanks! Haha, they are so stinkin cute!

Congrats on your poly !!! They are great pets.

Some tips - pick up a small sheets of polypropylene or polycarbonate. To cover up any openings near the lid. I like to put a small piece of duct tape on each lid. Makes opening a pain but well worth it.

View attachment 1408385View attachment 1408386

Watch the diet. Captive bred dels will absolutely gorge themselves. The only poly death ive ever had that wasnt jumping related was our del spike. Keeping them in a group the del would gorge itself every feeding after a couple of yrs it was ridiculously fat. Me personally i wouldnt even feed it daily. Every other day is fine. Small polys generally like the little hikari carnivore pellets, tilapia, worms and small chopped bait fish work great too.

How many other fish are in with rex ?

Btw... hope this winter was easier on you than last years ice age lol
Do you mean tape the glass lids down in addition to covering the holes?
So far he doesn’t seem to be over eating, but I’ll keep a close eye on him. I appreciate the heads up!

There are 4 giant danios, I will be removing them as soon as the qt period is up. They eat anything and everything that goes in the tank so fast!
His other two tank mates are a (4”) black ghost knife and (3”)flagtail. All of them and some plants are being held together in qt. The flagtail will only be in there for a few more weeks.
Since spring is nearly here I decided to get some babies growing out for when tanks start getting put up?

Haha! This year has been way better weather wise. We did gets lots of snow again, but it wasn’t weekly blizzards like later year. And unlike last year my 12ft snow drift is down to maybe 2 1/2ft tall right now! It’s been so warm the past two weeks, you won’t hear me complaining! I’m just about ready to get started on spring projects:)

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store