Rio Araguaia Growout Thread!

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I posted a "What's in the Box?" thread. This is the growout thread for the same trio of kelberi that I picked up from Mark at Discus Origins. These are the first wild-caught peacock bass I have had the pleasure to grow out, and I can already see some pretty big differences in behavior.

The biggest difference is that the WC kelberi HATE being photographed, even without flash.

"NO thank you, madam!"

Once they start getting used to me and the camera, I'll be able to take pictures of them without showing so much stress colors. Here's two of them together. The lighter colored one on top giving me the stinkeye is a female, and the smaller one in darker colors is a male.

I vented these two the three (the last one was the first into to the tank, and I didn't think to vent it before putting it into the tank). Female up top in the pic below, male at bottom, unsexed in the middle.

They are all currently eating whitebait, and the large unsexed one is eating Massivore. The male is chewing, but still spitting it out. Gotta work on that female some more. The best pic of the trio I have unfortunately also has an ugly background, with female on top again, unsexed fish off to the left, and male at the bottom. Sorry about the streaks!

Stay posted, and one day you'll see pics of them where they don't mind the camera too much. :)

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Looking good Heather, Wc cichla just take a little longer to settle in and get used to you...but they'll warm up to you in no time.

Reactions: davenmandy

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
They look very Nice! Here is a Boettner Vid and it looks like the are RA kels? Thought I would post so you can see what they will bloom into.

Reactions: jjollie

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun
Boettner's looks like C. Pleiozona. The more peculiar specimen in the video is the triple vertically blotched Cichla on top right/bottom left @ 0:05. I don't know what to make of that one. How many species are you counting in that video? 3? 4?

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
I got 2 from that same batch and mine are still eating live on occasion, but they are mouthing carnivore pellets a little now. I'm wanting to get them in with my other cichla that are slamming pellets but the size difference is still too big. Gotta wait a bit longer to get them in with the others.

Reactions: heatherbeast

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/discus-origins-araguaia.575055/
I just wanted to add the link to the growout thread from the last batch of Araguaia Kels from Discus Origins. In comparison these guys look a lot different, they look like kels but idk about Araguaia. Some basic Araguaia traits are the horizontal stripe from the tail through the vertical bars, and the double eye spot on the tail. My last Araguaias showed these traits at 3 inches. So far I'm not seeing either trait from this batch at 5-7 inches.... idk but like Heather said let's grow these puppies out and see what we have, happy fishkeeping.

Last edited:
Reactions: heatherbeast

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store