River Flow... How do?

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
Hello,

I want to recreate a faster flowing river in an aquarium, and I really want to use sand as a substrate. Is there some way I can get a strong flow without blowing all my sand permanently to one side of the tank? I also want to hardscape with driftwood and round river stones, as well as some vegetation.

I'm aware the sand will always drift over time, I'm looking for a way to circulate it around the tank.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Now if that is truly what you are looking to do why couldn't you just make a background for the bottom of the tank with sand embedded into it like most DIY backgrounds are built? Just a thought.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Pretty much something similar to the bottom of this tank. Sorry these tanks are always fun to look at.
Watch "Panaque's in rapid river tank at Panta Rhei" on YouTube

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I liked looking at the flow. But I bet it's not quiet and big fish would have much a place to swim.

Reactions: kno4te

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
I like that tank concept in the video. recently been thinking about something similar for the goonch but is it really necessary?

i think if your not wanting to do a background on the bottom then i have had luck in strong current tanks with playsand (larger grain) mixed with slate chippings and gravel but not sure if it would hold up to the flow in something like that.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You couldn't possibly have one of them in your house. You'd have to have your tele on pernanant full blast and when you wanted to ask your missus to get you a cold one out of the fridge you'd have to use a megaphone so she could hear you!

Reactions: hooliganATV

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You couldn't possibly have one of them in your house. You'd have to have your tele on pernanant full blast and when you wanted to ask your missus to get you a cold one out of the fridge you'd have to use a megaphone so she could hear you!
Basement or garage is ideal for this setup lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store