cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I finally got ordered what I needed for the start of my rheophilic breeding rack.

Similar to what KansasSunfish KansasSunfish did but more vertical. The main goal for this rack will be breeding panda loaches and giving rheophilic fish a natural habitat to live in.

This rack arrived two weeks and I ordered the tanks. The rack will hold 3 tanks. Had to wit for Chinese New Year before they started building the tanks. The stand is 180cm x 32cm x 152cm (about 6' x 1'3/4" x 5'3/4")
20190201_211941.jpg

Each tank will be
Volume: 135L / 36gal
Dimensions: 150cm x 30cm x 30cm / 60" x 12" x 12"
There will also be a 182L / 48gal sump to filter the rack.

Each side panel is drilled to allow water to flow in one side and out the other side. I am hoping to make the flow as unilateral as possible. I used this crude diagram when ordering from a manufacturer.
River Breeding Rack Tank.png

I plan on making the top tank shallower by adding a deeper substrate to really get flow in there for my Sicyopterus Japonicus. In the second tank I will add Yaoshania pachychilus (panda loaches) which I will try to breed. I have 4 Stiphodon Ornatus which I am not sure yet if I will add to the bottom tank or mix with the Sicyopterus.

Sicyopterus Japonicus. Mountain Rock Goby. I have six and definitely 3 males but could be more.
Sicyopterus Japonicus 1.jpg
DSC00962.JPG

Stiphodon ornatus. I have 2 males and 2 females.
DSC01015.JPG DSC01019.JPG DSC01026.JPG

I bought 10 very small panda loaches. They are growing and are so busy it is hard to count to make sure they are all there.
Panada Loach 2.jpg Panada Loach 1.jpg

My idea for the top tank with the "fastest" flow rate. I will remove the wood I think. But will still mull it over.
Top High Flow Tank Design.jpeg.jpg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Thanks.
It will sit on the floor next to the rack.

The pump I currently have is about 4000L/h but with head pressure and age I reckon it will be pushing about 3000L/h. I feel that should be a good flow rate for the intended and already owned fish.

Reactions: twentyleagues

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I like this idea. I have some reticulated hill stream loaches. This gives me some ideas. Thanks for posting. Keep the updates coming.

Reactions: cockroach

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Sounds like a great plan, I am looking forward to see how it all comes together.
Are you doing it with single overflows or double?

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I like this idea. I have some reticulated hill stream loaches. This gives me some ideas. Thanks for posting. Keep the updates coming.
I plan on a few hillstream loaches added eventually too.

Sounds like a great plan, I am looking forward to see how it all comes together.
Are you doing it with single overflows or double?
Thanks. Single overflows. I know I should go double but the tank is only 12" across so went with one.

I gave the design some thought as I am fully aware the potential for blockage causing the whole system to flood my fishroom. Below are to designs I am thinking about doing for the single overflow to minimize the potential to become blocked.

Design one has a T joint sawn down on the top end to where it would be considered an "emergency" level and need to be drained. The sawn off end is left open and allow for full flow. The down section of the T joint will have numerous decent sized slots cut out to allow free water movement. in addition to this it will also have an open end on this side but it will be covered by coarse sponge. I will only use coarse sponges as I don't want it to clog easily.

If it does clog it will have 15cm / 6" underwater to clog first and then clogg the top before the tank can spill over.
Overflow Virt 1.jpg

Design two again uses a T joint but this time it is laid horizontally. Again slots are cut out and it is open ended on both sides. The whole area of the T joint is covered in coarse sponge except the top section that has been sawn off as this will allow for emergency draining.
Overflow Virt 2.png

Let me know your thoughts on these designs. I have another idea if someone finds fault with these. I had fun making these on a new App I downloaded on phone.

Reactions: Piscavores:)

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I plan on a few hillstream loaches added eventually too.

Thanks. Single overflows. I know I should go double but the tank is only 12" across so went with one.

I gave the design some thought as I am fully aware the potential for blockage causing the whole system to flood my fishroom. Below are to designs I am thinking about doing for the single overflow to minimize the potential to become blocked.

Design one has a T joint sawn down on the top end to where it would be considered an "emergency" level and need to be drained. The sawn off end is left open and allow for full flow. The down section of the T joint will have numerous decent sized slots cut out to allow free water movement. in addition to this it will also have an open end on this side but it will be covered by coarse sponge. I will only use coarse sponges as I don't want it to clog easily.

If it does clog it will have 15cm / 6" underwater to clog first and then clogg the top before the tank can spill over.
View attachment 1360815

Design two again uses a T joint but this time it is laid horizontally. Again slots are cut out and it is open ended on both sides. The whole area of the T joint is covered in coarse sponge except the top section that has been sawn off as this will allow for emergency draining.
View attachment 1360816

Let me know your thoughts on these designs. I have another idea if someone finds fault with these. I had fun making these on a new App I downloaded on phone.
Sponges can clog pretty fast. They can be flowing fine and in a couple hours become slowed enough to back water up. I would be concerned that something like that would happen over night or while I was away.
I think strainers to the T on each end would be better.
I don’t think that would ever become clogged especially if you are checking the tank.
As far as 1 or 2 I think 2, horizontally would be my choice.

Reactions: dan518

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Sponges can clog pretty fast. They can be flowing fine and in a couple hours become slowed enough to back water up. I would be concerned that something like that would happen over night or while I was away.
I think strainers to the T on each end would be better.
I don’t think that would ever become clogged especially if you are checking the tank.
As far as 1 or 2 I think 2, horizontally would be my choice.
I will be using coarse sponges only to stop any fry from being washed into the sump. There will also be no plants so that should not assist blockages.
In addition to the this, the entire top portion of the PVC pipe will be cut away to allow a free "overflow" should the water rise to that level.
Do you not think that will be enough?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I will be using coarse sponges only to stop any fry from being washed into the sump. There will also be no plants so that should not assist blockages.
In addition to the this, the entire top portion of the PVC pipe will be cut away to allow a free "overflow" should the water rise to that level.
Do you not think that will be enough?
Yeah I guess it would work. The only thing that would bother me about that would be the possibility of fish getting sucked into an open end pipe.
I was just giving my opinion. You do you man.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Yeah I guess it would work. The only thing that would bother me about that would be the possibility of fish getting sucked into an open end pipe.
I was just giving my opinion. You do you man.
The ends of the open end-pipes will be covered by foam as well. Only the top section will allow for overflow should the surrounding foam get blocked.

The bottom pic shows what I mean

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store